Photos

Photographer's Note

Rumelihisarı is a fortress located in Istanbul, Turkey on a hill at the European side of the Bosporus just north of the Bebek district; giving the name of the quarter around it. It was built by the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II between 1451 and 1452, before he conquered Constantinople. The three great towers were named after three of Mehmed II's vezirs, Sadrazam Candarlı Halil Pasha, who built the big tower next to the gate, Zağanos Pasha, who built the south tower, and Sarıca Pasha, who built the north tower.

Construction

Rumelihisarı is situated at the narrowest point with 660 m of the Bosporus strait, just opposite of the Anadoluhisarı on the Anatolian side, another Ottoman fortress which was built between 1393 and 1394 by Sultan Bayezid I. The place was chosen to prevent aid from the Black Sea reaching Constantinople during the Turkish siege of the city in 1453, particularly from the Genoese colonies such as Caffa, Sinop and Amasra. Sultan Murad II (1404-1451), who wanted to ferry his army across the Bosporus, encountered difficulties due to the blockade of the Byzantine fleet. The necessity of a fortress opposite of Anadoluhisarı was well known to the Ottomans. At this place, there was a Roman fortification in the past, which was used as a prison by the Byzantine and Genoese. Later on, a monastery was built here.

In preparation for the conquest of Constantinople, Sultan Mehmed II (1432-1481), son of Murad II, started to realize the construction of the fortress immediately following his second ascent to the throne in 1451. He refused the plea for peace of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine XI (1404-1453), who understood the intention of the Sultan. The construction began on April 15, 1452. Each one of the three main towers were named after the Pashas who supervised their construction, which were later named after them. The sultan personally inspected the activities on the site. With the help of thousands of masons and workers, the fortress was completed in a record time of 4 months and 16 days on August 31, 1452.

cemsultan, Gunes, claudeD, mpdre, wishlist, kaptan, ekinokswest, Didi has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Hakki UCAR (xramm) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 278 W: 66 N: 125] (1831)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2007-09-02
  • Categories: Castles
  • Exposure: f/4.5, 1 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2007-09-05 12:14
  • Favorites: 1 [view]
Viewed: 2160
Points: 32
Discussions
Additional Photos by Hakki UCAR (xramm) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 278 W: 66 N: 125] (1831)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH