Photographer's Note

Mountnessing Windmill
Roman Road, Mountnessing

There has been a mill on this site since at least 1477

The one here was built by the Agnis family in about 1807, they run it until 1924. Operation of it ceased commercial in 1933, then was given to the local parish council who restored the outer parts in 1937. After the war further restorations were made, again by the parish council.

It is now a Grade II* Listed building and has been fully restored to its original working condition.

It has 4 floors, 4 spring sails, a tail pole and 2 pairs of millstones.
There are two main types of millstone, Granite usually from Derbyshire (Derbyshire Peak ) and French Burr a very hard stone found in Northern France, unlike granite French Burr millstones were made up of segments bonded together and then surrounded by steel bands.

The time should be 15-54. - 6hrs
Researched on internet.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2156
Points: 3
  • None
Additional Photos by philip rose (willow) (42)
View More Pictures