Photos

Photographer's Note

The origins of the castle of Amboise go up in VIIIème century In the medium of XVème century, Louis XI, undertakes work of rebuilding of the castle. Charles VIII decides to entirely rebuild the fortress and fact call In 1495, with two master masons, Domenica de Cortone and FRA Giocondo to give a royal pace to this residence: a new architecture, the Renaissance style. From 1498 the castle is composed of two home: one vis-a-vis in the Loire, directed in north; the other directed towards the Mass. Only the first remains today. Louis XII him succéde, work continues. Its successor, François 1st, pass his youth as well as the first years of his reign to the castle of Amboise. In 1516, it invites Léonard de Vinci, to reside at Amboise, the Manor of Closed-Lucé. At the beginning of the XVIIème century, the castle becomes a prison. Louis XIV will hold there captive Nicolas Fouquet and the Duke of Lauzun. In 1762, Louis XVI fact gift of the castle to the Duke of Choiseul. To the beginning of the first Empire, Napoleon gives the castle to the ex-consul Pierre-Roger Ducos. This one made destroy - between 1806 and 1810 - two thirds. The church, Collegial the Florentin Saint, the Home of the Queens disappear. In 1815, the castle changes owner. It is to Louise Marie Adélaïde of Bourbon-Penthièvre, Duchesse of Orleans, that it is restored. With his death, in 1821, his/her son, the Louis-Philippe future inherits it. For lack of maintenance, in 1848, the State takes again possession of the castle and in fact again a prison of State. From 1848 to 1852, Abd El Kader is imprisoned there. In 1873, the castle is again restored with the Orleans family which it transformaeen house of reception for the old people. Then, at the beginning of the XXème century, Mr Ruprich-Robert and his son, restore with much care, the castle to give again the one second youth to him. Nowadays, the castle always has the same pace that it had in XVème and XVIème century, at least on the side of the Loire. On the other hand, inside the enclosure, a great number of buildings do not exist today any more. There remains approximately only one fifth of what was the fortress at the time of its splendour.

bebep has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: thierry domenget (thierry37) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 161 W: 108 N: 157] (669)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2007-01-11
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/3.9
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2007-01-11 12:07
Viewed: 1779
Points: 12
Discussions
Additional Photos by thierry domenget (thierry37) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 161 W: 108 N: 157] (669)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH