Photographer's Note

The abbey of Sainte-Marie de Souillac is a former Benedictine abbey located in Souillac in the Lot department. When the Benedictines settled in the plain of contaminated - so named from a local word 'souilh' meaning muddy and marshy place - they replace a community founded, according to tradition, by Saint Eloi. The monks dry tirelessly and transform the swamp into a rich field. Repeatedly ruined and plundered during the Hundred Years War, the abbey rises thanks to the tenacity of the abbots, but the religious wars cause him even greater damage. Rebuilt in the fifteenth century, when attached to the Congregation of Saint-Maur, Abbey ceases to exist on the Revolution, its buildings being transformed into tobacco shop. The Abbey Church of Sainte-Marie became the parish church of Souillac, instead of the church of St. Martin, which was destroyed during the wars of religion. The church dates back to the twelfth century, and is similar to the Byzantine style buildings such as with Périgueux Cathedral Saint-Front and Cahors Cathedral Saint-Étienne are familiar, but it is more advanced in its forms, in its lighter elevation. From the outside you can admire a lovely bedside with pentagonal apses and an amazing tour.e transept is particularly important, while the choir, polygonal, opens several chapels. Inside, the fragments of the portal destroyed in the sixteenth century by the Huguenots brought inside the church in the seventeenth century, grouped somewhat arbitrarily, attract attention. They have three registers legend of Theophilus, who sold his soul to the devil and preparing the sacrifice of Isaac. To the right (looking at the gate), we observe the curious 'pillar of Souillac' impressive tangle of monsters, the indefinite purpose lack of documents. The same side, we see the tremendous figure of the prophet Isaiah, a masterpiece of the whole, and should be regarded as a seminal work of world sculpture. The abbey church has organ designed by Stoltz 1840, classified May 12, 1978 under historiques3 monuments. They were restored in 1988 by the organ builder Daniel Birouste. Founded in 2003, Time Organ is a summer movie around this instrument each year between 5 and 8 concerts are organized and guided tours.

This is a collection of panoramic photographs 5.

Romano46, pierrefonds has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1823
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by Jean Philippe TUR (tenretin) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 225 W: 7 N: 395] (2980)
View More Pictures