Photographer's Note

The fortress was finished on January 6h 1598, day of the Three Wise Kings.
The construction took 30 years. The fortress was built right on the top of the reefs, to guarantee a solid basement (this means that the work could only be done during the low tide, which doubled the time of construction); material used included sand, bronze, whale oil and massive blocks of stone brought from Portugal. The architect, priest Gaspar de Samperes, adopted the conventional design for a maritime fortress: a five corners stars.
In 12th December 1633, the fortress was taken over by the Dutch, who stayed until January of 1,654, when the Portuguese, helped by the indians, regained the place.

nivaldo, gracious, asajernigan, celmaleite, gervaso, wgreis, cfreire, Amaz has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2157
Points: 14
  • None
Additional Photos by Carmem A Busko (carmem_busko) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 565 W: 145 N: 584] (3718)
View More Pictures