Photographer's Note


This picture has been taken of Bourbon Street — the most famous name that represents French Quarters — a week before Hurricane Katrina bore down on the Gulf Coast on Sunday, sending hundreds of thousands of people fleeing the approach of its 160-mile-an-hour winds and prompting a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans, a city perilously below sea level.

I know it will be long before le Vieux Carré regains its normal face…


Conditions in New Orleans worsened Tuesday, with rising water in the downtown area, hundreds of people looting stores and smoke rising from various points on the horizon. Refugees from the storm and people who had been plucked from rooftops of inundated homes kept arriving at the Louisiana Superdome, where the population had swelled to nearly 30,000. The situation inside the building was described as tense, with no air conditioning in the building and toilets overflowing. A man jumped to his death from the second level inside the stadium.

Smoke could be seen at several points and at least one large building was engulfed by flames. Hundreds of people were looting businesses, throwing rocks through windows and hauling away goods from stores. Some looters were brazenly trying on clothes in the street; some were taking diapers, baby formula and other desperately needed supplies. In the downtown area, police had begun to respond to the looting which was happening citywide. Power was out in the city, and there was no potable drinking water. But foul floodwaters continued to rise downtown after a football-field-size breach on a 17th Street Canal levee. Coast Guard has been activated to use boats and helicopters to take people to safety. They were bringing more people, many with broken legs and arms. New Orleans Mayor said 80% of his city was under water, in some places as much as 20 feet deep.

The massive storm knocked out power all over southeast Louisiana, and a 50-inch water main break left New Orleans without potable water while gas leaks were spread across the city. An oil tanker ran aground and was leaking.

Katrina, which slammed the southeast Louisiana coast with 140 mph winds and then made a second landfall in Mississippi, has killed at least 100 people.


After New Orleans thought it had narrowly escaped the worst of Hurricane Katrina's wrath, water broke through two levees on Tuesday and virtually submerged and isolated the city, causing incalculable destruction and rendering it uninhabitable for weeks to come. With bridges washed out, highways converted into canals, and power and communications lines inoperable, government ordered everyone out of the city. The situation was so dire that the Pentagon ordered 5 Navy ships and 8 Navy maritime rescue teams to bolster relief operations. It also planned to fly in Swift boat rescue teams from California.(The New York Times)


fireflyz, cyclope, PSYOPS, NgocSon has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 4475
Points: 10
  • None
Additional Photos by Ngy Thanh (ngythanh) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 471 W: 125 N: 2332] (8458)
View More Pictures