Photos

Photographer's Note

Hello friends and colleagues, today I offer this nice view of the artificial lake in the city of Arcos de la Frontera, with a piece of city and its surroundings. Hope you like it, then some letters about its history.

Arcos de la Frontera is a Spanish municipality in the province of Cadiz, Andalusia. It is the largest city in the county of Sierra de Cadiz and also the largest. It is an important place for domestic tourism and local industry, and has a strategic position between the countryside and the Serrania Jerez. It also has a rich history, having been the capital of the Taifa of Arcos at the Muslim time and capital of the Duchy of Arcos from 1493. Like most of the people of this province, its location has been occupied by humans since prehistoric times. Arcos, for their own geographical location it has been at all times a strategic place. The name of Arx-Arcis (fortress height) comes from its Roman foundation, a time which appears as settlement "coloniae Arcensium" another Roman settlement was Santiscal. During the Muslim era its name is Arkos, emerging as truly prosperous and flourishing city. At the time of dependent Emirate of Damascus (711-757) he belonged to the "Cora" of Sidonia. He went on to become the eleventh century, in a small Taifa kingdom under the rule of Ben Jazrum king of Berber origin. In this period the grounds of the villa is walled and although there is no certainty that the brim with buildings all its land, has kept the complex web of apples, this time comes the layout of its streets, the military fortress, the wall , mills, etc. In 1255 and 1264, King Alfonso X of Castile took the city, being assigned to the Infante Don Enrique, but returned to royal hands due to its frontier character. In 1300 he received the rank of council. In 1408 the king puts the city in the hands of private Ruy Lopez Davalos, to grant it to the Ponce de Leon in 1440, Dukes of Arcos, until well into the eighteenth century and reached its zenith between the fifteenth and seventeenth century. In the fifteenth century Hospices of Discalced Franciscans and another next to the Church of San Pedro they were founded. The City Council is moved to the Plaza del Castillo. The prison was moved to a house where they later built the Convent of Mercy nuns. In the Castle Square and behind the granary the slaughter house stood. From the sixteenth century construction of the Convent of San Francisco (1510), the Sisters of St. John Lateran (1539), the Hospital of San Roque and San Pedro starts. Similarly, the construction of a new slaughterhouse outside the Puerta de Jerez starts. During the eighteenth century urban expansion that exceeds the length of its Arab walls occurs. In 1706, Felipe V granted the title of Noble and Faithful. The 1755 Lisbon earthquake, changed his appearance, affecting the churches of Santa Maria, San Pedro and San Augustine, sinking the north wall of the Castle, but fell into the pit and bury him, gave birth to New Street. During the eighteenth century, the city was finally developed outside the walls, when three enclaves: the neighborhood of the log, the more upscale, with residences of the bourgeoisie, Hospital San Juan de Dios, Pósito of Carlos III, Meson Duke and Church of San Miguel; San Francisco neighborhood, around the Franciscan Church of the sixteenth century, which highlights the Chapel of the Waters; and the slum, whose origin may be in a Moorish settlement in the current quarter Cómpeta. In the nineteenth century, and the epidemic of yellow fever and the passage of the French, which caused damage to the Castle and Plaza, the most important heritage of Arcos fact is the confiscation of Mendizabal. Transformations of religious buildings are produced and put on sale rural ecclesiastical possessions, which slowed the incipient industrial development, the transformation of industrial promoters landowners. In the twentieth century it improves the quality of life and tourism development occurs, being in the period 1950-1970 when the further growth of the city occurs. Until the early sixties a concentric ring of growth was set. But it is from this decade, when they begin to appear new building types (blocks and detached houses, semi-detached and row) raised on new paths, which threaten both the original walled Old Town, as the first area of ​​growth and the hamlet Traditional. In the XXI century it has become the entrance to the White Towns of Andalusia and a Historic-Artistic. Together with its magnificent scenery, make first class tourist destination in the province of Cadiz, which is their main source of income.
Source Wikipedia.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3100
Software: PhotoScape
Exposure Time: 10/20000 sec
F-Stop: f/7.1
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Focal Length: 32 mm
Date Taken: 2014-10-06 11:51
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
File Size: 234 kb

Photo Information
Viewed: 1763
Points: 58
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by angel cornejo (cornejo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 5601 W: 5 N: 12241] (60194)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH