Photographer's Note

This was taken from the Southside Hills of St.John's, Newfoundland, overlooking the Harbour and the Downtown area of the City.

The large church that dominates the city is known locally as The Basilica. It actual name is "The Basicila of St.John the Baptist".

It was the vision of Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming in 1834, a man of Irish decent and the first Bishop of Newfoundland.

On May 27, 1839 excavation began with an allotted time of 2 months to complete this stage of the project. But, to the Bishops surprise it was completed in 2 days. Men, women, young, old, rich, and poor came together to excavate 8800 cubic yards of gravel. Women even using their aprons to carry away the gravel.

The inhabitants of St.John's where mainly of Irish decent and consisted 19,000 inhabitants, of whom where about 14,000 were Catholics. The thing that set this church aside from others is that the Catholic and Protestants came together to construct the stone structure.

Completion and consecration was on September 9, 1855. At this time, it was one of the largest church buildings in North America.

For a more detailed history see History of the Basilica

Photo Information
Viewed: 5095
Points: 20
  • None
Additional Photos by Rodney Fagan (faganrodney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 114 W: 58 N: 136] (489)
View More Pictures