Photographer's Note

A stretch of Route 7 in autumn splendor near Westfield, New Brunswick.

The main road from Fredericton to Saint John was first numbered Route 7 in 1965. The original routing followed present-day Route 102 from Fredericton to Oromocto, and the "Broad Road" (formerly Route 2A) from Oromocto to Welsford. The Vanier Highway, originally Route 12 when it was partially opened in Fredericton, was redesignated as part of Route 7 when it was fully completed to Oromocto in 1976, and a section of the Broad Road through Geary was bypassed in the early 1980s. The towns of Grand Bay and Westfield were bypassed in 1986, with the former alignment of Route 7 renumbered Route 177.

In 1991, Route 7 was extended south from its original southern end at Ocean West Way (Route 100) on Saint John's west side to Route 1.

Starting in 2007 planning commenced to construct animal fencing along the entire length of Route 7. Construction began in the Fall of 2007 and continuing during the Summer of 2008. Animal crossings were also constructed in various places. Because the majority of Route 7 runs through CFB Gagetown Environmental Assessments and Approval had to be obtained from the Department of National Defence.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1317
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Derek Grant (PeakXV) Silver Note Writer [C: 5 W: 0 N: 23] (245)
View More Pictures