Photographer's Note

In 1453, with the conquest of Istanbul, Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror converted the church into a mosque. To strengthen the building architect Sinan did significant work in Hagia Sophia in the Turkish period. During the reign of Sultan Abdulmecid (1839 – 1861) de Fossati brothers made various restorations in the building. Hagia Sophia Museum, the legacy of both Christian and Muslim culture, was opened for visits according to the order of Ataturk and decision of the Turkish Assembly of Ministers on the 1st of February, 1935.

The Hagia Sophia Museum was included in the list of UNESCO List of World Heritage.

The activities of the Museum are supervised and supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Turkey.

anesugur, tigra has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1412
Points: 8
  • None
Additional Photos by YILMAZ TUFAN (twofun) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 158 W: 95 N: 138] (1480)
View More Pictures