Photos

Photographer's Note

The Fishermen's port in Gelibolu (Gallipoli)

This old seaside town was once known as Gallipoli, as it still is in English and the town gave its name to both the peninsula and the campaign of 1915. However, for Turks, the Gallipoli Campaign is known as the Çanakkale War. From the wharf in the centre of the town, ferries run across the Dardanelles to Lapseki on the Asian shore.

There is a fishermen's port and many fishing boats based in Gelibolu..(As can be seen in the photo). The stone port has only a narrow entrance to the sea and is also crossed by a bridge. Both around the port and in the many restaurants nearby there are always fresh fish to be had. Gelibolu is also well known for the quality of its tinned fish, in particular sardines. Samples can be bought from shops in the vicinity of the wharf.

This small town, because of its location at the southern mouth of the Strait and its sheltered position, was important in both Byzantine and Ottoman times.

The fortress ruin right on the seaside is a private museum. This small museum is named after Piri Reis, the Ottoman naval officer who drew the first map in the world, and has a small collection on display. Having been set up with an amateur spirit and being inside the fortress makes for a cute museum. The fortress dates from the ancient times but underwent many restorations over the centuries. The grave of Piri Reis is also in Gelibolu.(Under the flag in the left)

The exhibits in the museum are many and varied, from newspaper cuttings to Byzantine cups, Ottoman headstones, weapons and coins to archaeological findings.

Gelibolu is rich in respect of Turkish and Islam works. Near to the Astsubay Orduevi (Non-Commissioned Officers House) there is the grave of Bayraklı (Flag) Dede who was the standard bearer for Süleyman Pasha. From the 14th century onward people came to visit his grave and to hang flags on it. This is why he is known as "Bayrakl_ Dede" (Dede means a religious figure).

The mosque known as the Süleyman Pasha or Büyük Cami was built in 1358. It was repaired in 1676 and 1889. It has a rectangular plan, stone walls and three entrance doors. There are many türbes (tombs) such as that of Bayraklı Dede. The main ones are those of Ahmet Bican, Mehmet Bican, Hallacı Mansur, Kalafat Mehmed Pasha, Emir Ali Pasha and his son in law Sinan Pasha.

The Gelibolu Mevlevihanesi is especially worth seeing, having been built in 1656 by the followers of the symbol of tolerance in sufism, the Mevlana. The restoration work on this impressive building will be completed by the end of 2004. This building, which is located in the grounds of the Military Hospital is the largest second Tekke (Dervish lodge) in Turkey. It had supplementary buildings that have not survived. It used to host 80 poor people with its school, han and refectory.

The area where the Dervish sema ceremony (the whirling dance of the Dervishes) is at times performed can cater to 1000 spectators.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3887
Points: 39
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Seref Halicioglu (WepWaWet) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 355 W: 5 N: 629] (3798)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH