Photographer's Note

There is evidence that a church has been here since the 9th century. The annuls of Lindisfarne record this fact and during restoration work at Jedburgh Abbey various pieces of ornamental stone were found of Celtic origin. The abbey is therefore likely to stand on the site of a much earlier church.
The abbey the visitor will see today was founded by David I in 1118, although at that time it was a priory for the Augustinian canons who came from France. It was not until 1147 that this priory was raised to the staus of an abbey.

Jedburgh Abbey As with so many Border towns, Jedburgh suffered great destruction during the many wars with England. The abbey was bombarded in 1523 by the Earl of Surrey but the men of Jedburgh never failed to bravely defend their town, their abbey and their country.

Jedburgh Castle fell to the English on many occasions - it was one of the castles forfeited to them in 1174 to help raise the ransom demanded for the safe return of Scotland's William the Lion.
In subsequent years the castle was much favoured as a royal residence - Alexander III was married at Jedburgh Abbey and the wedding feast was held at the castle but in 1409 it was demolished.

In 1566 Mary Queen of Scots came to Jedburgh to preside at the Circuit Court. She stayed at a house which ever more has been known as Queen Mary's House, a very attractive building in the town's Queen Street of great historical interest.

The castle today was built in 1832 and although its then purpose was to serve as the county jail it continued to be called the castle

More peaceful times now but not sure the residents would agree as the get a lot of tourists to the abbey and this is the graveyard next to it with the houses clustered round

arnie, auldal, r_bodenschatz has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 969
Points: 1
Additional Photos by marion morgan (jester5) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 97 W: 66 N: 609] (2024)
View More Pictures