Photographer's Note

This is the enterance to the Midland Station Sheffield. In 2002, Midland Mainline, as the main TOC of the station, instigated a major regeneration of Sheffield station. Prior to this, a taxi rank was located inside what is now the main concourse and the new entrance hall. The stone façade of the station was sandblasted and its archways filled with unobstructed windows to improve views both from inside and out. Other changes included the improvement of platform surfaces and the addition of a pedestrian bridge connecting the station concourse with the Sheffield Supertram stop at the far side of the station.

To coincide with the regeneration of the station, Sheaf Square was rebuilt as part of a project designed to create the ‘Gateway to Sheffield’. The station and the square form part of a ‘gold route’ that leads passengers through the square past the 262.5 feet (80.0 m) 'Cutting Edge' water feature, up Howard Street and into the Heart of the City. This 'Gateway to Sheffield' won the Project of the Year Award in the 2006 National Rail Awards.

On 11 November 2007, East Midlands Trains, an amalgamation of Midland Mainline and part of Central Trains, took over the management of the station.

In December 2009, following the restoration of the station, a new pub, the 'Sheffield Tap', opened next to platform 1B. The room, located within the main station building, had been used as a store room for 35 years but was used for much longer as a bar and restaurant, catering for First Class passengers since 1904. The bar is noteworthy for its restored early 20th century interior and its selection of quality cask ales and beers from around the world. Since opening the bar has won the National Railway Heritage Award and the Cask Ale pub of the year award.

In October 2010 East Midland Trains initiated £10 million worth of improvements to its stations. Sheffield received renovated waiting rooms, toilet facilities and upgraded security systems amongst its improvements. A new first class lounge on platform 5, part of these improvements, opened on 18 January 2011. The lounge was opened by the Master Cutler Professor Bill Speirs who was joined by 50 top business leaders from Sheffield and the surrounding area.

photoray, unclehotshot has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1643
Points: 6
  • None
Additional Photos by Andrew Beatson (andycam) Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 5 W: 18 N: 20] (249)
View More Pictures