Photographer's Note

This was the first railway bridge across the Thames into the City of London. Only the supporting columns and decorated pylons remain, alongside the more modern version, which is still in use. The pylons are listed Grade II.

Joseph Cubitt

Period of construction:
1850 - 1899.


In 1860 the London Chatham & Dover Railway (LDCR) obtained authority to build an extension from its existing station at Beckenham to Ludgate Hill in the City of London. The new railway line was to cross the Thames beside Blackfriars Road Bridge. It was destined to become part of an important north/south line, precursor of Thameslink.

Since the road bridge was being rebuilt by Joseph Cubitt, it was agreed that he should design both bridges, the City corporation being concerned that the spans of the two bridges should coincide. Work started on the railway bridge in 1862 and it opened in December 1864. It was a wrought-iron lattice girder structure with the spans supported by masonry abutments and composite piers. The supports had ornate Romanesque capitals and were decorated with large, brightly coloured shields incorporating the coat of arms of the LCDR and these are to be found between the new road and railway bridges at Blackfriars on the Thames.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 938
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by marion morgan (jester5) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 92 W: 66 N: 610] (2024)
View More Pictures