Photographer's Note

The Windmill. Situated on Beacon Hill, high above the village of Rottingdean stands the old smock mill. Here in 1588 was lit the beacon that gave news of the approaching Spanish Armada attack on Elizabethan England. The mill has been here since 1802 and has been a prominent landmark to sailors and travellers alike since then. A drawing of this mill by Sir William Nicholson has since become famous as the colophon used by Heinemann, the publishers.

The mill continued to grind corn until 1881 and is now preserved by the local Rottingdean Preservation Society.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1401
Points: 1
  • None
Additional Photos by Arturoni AN (misiart) (75)
View More Pictures