Photographer's Note

The Royal Opera & The St.James's Church, Stockholm

The Kungliga Operan or Royal Opera House is Sweden's premier stage for opera and ballet. It was built in the 19th century at the Gustav Adolf square, the site of Stockholm's first opera house.

The foundation for the opera in Sweden was laid by king Gustav III, a playwright and patron of the arts. The first opera performances were held in 1773 in Bollhuset (Ball House), a former sports hall that was located near the Great Church at Slottsbacken.

The First Opera House

Stockholm's first purpose-built opera house is known as the Gustavianska Operahuset (Gustavian Opera House) after king Gustav III, who commissioned its construction. The opera house, designed by Carl Fredrik Adelcrantz, opened in 1782 after a seven year construction period. The building's architecture was mirrored by that of the Arvfurstens Palace, erected ten years later across the Gustav Adolfs square.
In 1792 the Opera House was the site of the assassination of king Gustav III, who was shot point blank during a masquerade ball. This event was the inspiration for Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera.

The Present Opera House

In the 19th century, after the Gustavian Opera House was demolished in 1891, a new theater was built at the site. The neoclassical building was designed by Axel Anderberg who ensured its exterior was in harmony with the architecture of the nearby Royal Palace. The Opera House opened in 1898 with a performance of Franz Berwald's Estrella de Soria.

The St.James's Church (the red church on the right)

Saint James's Church (Swedish: Sankt Jacobs kyrka) is a church in central Stockholm, Sweden, dedicated to apostle Saint James the Greater, patron saint of travellers. It is often mistakenly called St Jacob's. The confusion arises because Swedish, like many other languages, uses the same name for both James and Jacob.
Arguably the most central church in the Swedish capital, surrounded by the popular park Kungsträdgården, the Royal Opera, the square Gustaf Adolfs torg; and near Sergels torg, the Royal Palace, and governmental office Rosenbad, the parish of the church was limited to 150 souls in the late 1980s, and was thus merged into the parish of the Stockholm Cathedral in 1989.
The church took a long time to complete and as a consequence include a wide range of architectonic styles, such as Late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque, the design of architects: Willem Boy (1580–93), Hans Ferster (1635–43), Göran Joshuae Adelcrantz and Carl Hårleman (1723–35), Carl Möller and Agi Lindegren (1893–94). (Source: aviewoncities-stockholm & wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 3082
Points: 64
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures