Photographer's Note

The original Sista Styverns Trappor (Last Farthing’s Stairs) were probably built in the 17th century. They were made of wood and winded, tiny and steep, from Stadsgården beside the water up to Stigberget, the mountain that also had the name of Gallows Mountain. There earlier existed several similar stairs leading up to Stigberget. Sista Styvern was a pub at the bottom of the stairs. There seamen had their last glass of snaps before returning to the sea and there prisoners sentenced to death by hanging had one final beer before walking up to meet their maker. The hanging took place at the top of the hill, known nowadays as Stigberget. The gallows was seen all over Stockholm and the place was even marked in the nautical cards of those times. The original Sista Styverns stairs were torn down in 1899. That part which still exists of the stairs go from Fjällgatan street to Stigbergatan street and is one of the last genuine old stairs in Södermalm, tightly aligned by houses and plank fences.

The tall building on the background was built in 1907 and housed then a Navigation school. It is now belonging to the Ersta Sköndal University college.

Geocode: 59.317125,18.085942

PP: Corrected tilting, adjusted highlights and shadows.

bobocortis, paololg, Longroute has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2409
Points: 22
Additional Photos by Lasse Lofstrom (ellelloo) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 471 W: 15 N: 1589] (6572)
View More Pictures