Photos

Photographer's Note

The Chapel of the Vélez Located in the ambulatory, is polygonal, made in flamboyant Gothic style, between 1490 and 1507 and placed under the dedication of San Lucas. It has an iron grate that closes the triple arcade entrance to the chapel.

Built for the advance of the kingdom of Murcia Juan Chacón and completed by his son Pedro Fajardo, first Marquis of Vélez. It was built as a family pantheon although it was never occupied. It was built occupying the space of two of the chapels of the apse and protrudes from the top to the outside due to its large size, occupying part of the public road, which led to several complaints from Murcia to the City Council.

Chapel of the Velez Chapel of the Velez Chapel of the Velez Chapel of the Velez
To the outside (in the street) it is adorned with a wide sculptural decoration with three great shields of the dynasty of the Fajardo and the Chacón in the superior part. Below these a large stone chain formed by 90 links, surrounds the entire perimeter of the chapel. In the lower plane three niches of semicircular arches, the central one with the shield of the founders held by two savages, the other two empty. It is to admire the visual effect of this chapel with its large noble shields that would remind walkers of the power of the Marquis of Vélez.

In the upper part a gallery of windows at a rate of two per piece, allow the interior lighting of the chapel. In each of the edges that form the polygon, high buttresses run throughout the height of the chapel.

The chapel inside is covered with a ten-pointed star Gothic vault. This Chapel of the Vélez is undoubtedly the most ostentatious of the entire Cathedral. The work is by an unknown author although it has been attributed to Juan Guas (* France 1430 † Toledo 1496) or to Juan de León, master of works of the Cathedral, although these attributions are more than doubtful.

The decoration used is formed by vegetal and figurative decoration. Among the first ones we find decoration of cardinas, pineapples, grenades, shelves, canopies, corbels and tree trunks, while in the figurative decoration there are animals like taps, lions, dogs, deer, and biblical characters: angels, Christ, the Virgin and the Magdalena. Also shields of the family of the chapel holders.

Four niches occupy the walls of the front, all of them empty, with the exception of one of them, where a red marble tomb with the figure of an infant is housed in the upper cover. On the left wall above a low arch door, a balcony from where the marquis could listen to mass from a privileged position.

Halfway up, there is an epigraphic frieze made in Gothic script that says: "This work was commissioned by the very magnificent Mr. Juan Chacón, an advance from Murcia, Lord of Cartagena." His son, Pedro Fajardo, Marqués de los Velez, was finishing up. of Murcia, year 1307 to October 15.

The chapel was declared a National Monument in 1928.

The entrance to the chapel is made through a triple arch with openings of lobed arches and imaginative arches. It is closed by an iron gate and in the pillars that sustain the arches we find four large crowns in whose interior we find the noble coats of arms of the Vélez family.

The chapel presides over a canvas made in 1607 by Francisco García, protected painter of the Chacón-Fajardo family with a representation of San Lucas. On this a Crucified Christ made of stone under a trilobed arch and background with reliefs of floristic Gothic inspiration.

-------------------------------------------------

La Capilla de los Vélez Situada en la girola, es de planta poligonal, realizada en estilo gótico flamígero, entre 1490 y 1507 y puesta bajo la advocación de San Lucas. Tiene una reja de hierro que cierra la triple arquería de entrada a la capilla.

Construida para el adelantado del reino de Murcia Juan Chacón y terminada por su hijo Pedro Fajardo, primer marqués de Vélez. Se construyó como panteón familiar aunque nunca se llegó a ocupar. Se construyó ocupando el espacio de dos de las capillas del ábside y sobresale por la cabecera al exterior por su gran tamaño, ocupando parte de la vía pública, lo que motivó diversas quejas de los murcianos al Concejo de la Ciudad.

Capilla de los Velez Capilla de los Velez Capilla de los Velez Capilla de los Velez
Al exterior (en la calle) se adorna con una amplia decoración escultórica con tres grandes escudos de la dinastía de los Fajardo y de los Chacón en la parte superior. Por debajo de estos una gran cadena en piedra formada por 90 eslabones, rodea todo el perímetro de la capilla. En el plano inferior tres nichos de arcos de medio punto, el central con el escudo de los fundadores sostenido por dos salvajes, los otros dos vacíos. Es de admirar el efecto visual de esta capilla con sus grandes escudos nobiliarios que recordarían a los paseantes el poder de los marqueses de Vélez.

En la parte superior una galería de ventanas a razón de dos por paño, permiten la iluminación del interior de la capilla. En cada una de las aristas que forman el polígono, corren altos contrafuertes en toda la altura de la capilla.

La capilla por el interior se cubre con bóveda gótica estrellada de diez puntas. Esta capilla de los Vélez es sin duda alguna la más ostentosa de toda la Catedral. La obra es de autor desconocido aunque se ha atribuido a Juan Guas (* Francia 1430 † Toledo 1496) o a Juan de León, maestro de obras de la Catedral, aunque estas atribuciones son más que dudosas.

La decoración empleada está formada por decoración vegetal y figurativa. Entre las primeras encontramos decoración de cardinas, piñas, granadas, repisas, doseletes, ménsulas y troncos de árbol, mientras que en la decoración figurada hay animales como grifos, leones, perros, ciervos, y personajes bíblicos: ángeles, Cristo, la Virgen y la Magdalena. También escudos de la familia de los titulares de la capilla.

Cuatro nichos ocupan los muros del testero, todos ellos vacíos, a excepción de uno de ellos, donde se aloja un sepulcro de mármol rojo con la figura de un infante en la tapa superior. En el muro de la izquierda por encima de una puerta de arco rebajado, un balcón desde donde el marqués podía escuchar misa desde un puesto de privilegio.

A mitad altura, corre un friso epigráfico realizado en letra gótica que dice: "Esta obra mandó hacer el muy magnifico señor don Juan Chacón, adelantado de Murcia, señor de Cartagena. Acabola su hijo, don Pedro Fajardo, marqués de los Velez, adelantado de Murcia. año 1307 a 15 de Octubre.

La capilla fue declarada Monumento Nacional en 1928.

La entrada a la capilla se realiza a través de un triple arco con vanos de arcos lobulados y arcos imaginativos. Se cierra por una verja de hierro y en los pilares que sustentan los arcos encontramos cuatro grandes coronas en cuyo interior encontramos los escudos nobiliarios de la familia Vélez.

Preside la capilla un lienzo realizado en 1607 por Francisco García, pintor protegido de la familia Chacón-Fajardo con una representación de San Lucas. Sobre este un Cristo Crucificado realizado en piedra bajo un arco trilobulado y fondo con relieves de inspiración gótica florida.

Fis2, holmertz, jean113, mkamionka, papagolf21, jhm, PiotrF, macjake, cornejo has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 262
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7956 W: 5 N: 14022] (62450)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH