Photos

Photographer's Note

The Fountain of Apollo, which closes the perspective of this street in a scenographic way, is the only one that has an architectural character among those that adorned the Prince's Garden, since the others were purely sculptural, although it must be taken into account that the planned program by Carlos IV it had to be cut for economic reasons.

In 1789-1790 it was planned to place this statue on the rock of the spring of the Chinese pond, but shortly after this idea was rejected and the current location was chosen. The Fountain began in 1803, but was not completed until the reign of Fernando Vil, according to "new invention and design" by Isidro González Velázquez, around 1828.

The sculpture, "an old and very good work", according to Quindás, is not from the time of Carlos IV, but was in the Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso, from where it was brought at the end of 1789. It was in the piece central ground floor, in the niche of the fountain on the front of that room - Ponz saw it there in 1787, and attributed it to Fremin or Thierry, but possibly it is a French or Italian work from the 17th century.

-------------------------------------------------

La Fuente de Apolo, que cierra de modo escenográfico la perspectiva de esta calle, es la única que tiene carácter arquitectónico entre las que adornaban el Jardín del Príncipe, pues las demás eran puramente escultóricas, si bien hay que tener en cuenta que el programa pensado por Carlos IV hubo de ser recortado por razones económicas.

En 1789-1790 se pensaba colocar esta estatua en el peñasco del manantial del estanque chinesco, pero poco después se desechó esta idea y se eligió el emplazamiento actual. La Fuente se inició en 1803, pero no se concluyó hasta el reinado de Fernando Vil, según "nueva invención y diseño" de Isidro González Velázquez, hacia 1828.

La escultura, "obra antigua y muy buena", según Quindás, no es de la época de Carlos IV, sino que estaba en el Palacio de La Granja de San Ildefonso, de donde se trajo a finales de 1789. Se encontraba en la pieza central de la planta baja, en el nicho de la fuente que hay sobre el testero de aquella sala- allí la vio Ponz en 1787, y la atribuyó a Fremin o a Thierry, pero posiblemente sea obra francesa o italiana del XVII.

holmertz, Fis2, ikeharel, PaulVDV, jhm, COSTANTINO, ChrisJ has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8659 W: 5 N: 15634] (69704)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH