Photos

Photographer's Note

See also the WS.
---------------

It is probable that the fortification existed already in times of Roman domination, since granite ashlars have been found similar to those of the Aqueduct.

Around 1120, on the western end of the rock on which the city sits, a neighborhood was built at the service of the canons of the Cathedral of Santa María, known as “las Canonjías”. In the act of donation of the land by the Council to the Bishop is where our fortress is mentioned for the first time, more exactly the “vallum oppidi”, or palisade, which defended the city on the eastern side.

A few years later, between 1124 and 1139, the words “Castillo de Segovia” and “Alcaçar” are recorded in the documentation, a term that refers to its status as a fortress and royal residence that will continue to this day.

King Alfonso X "the Wise" convened Cortes in 1256, the first to take place in the Alcázar.
T he remodeling, expansion and decoration of the Alcázar, which began with Catherine of Lancaster in 1412 and which would reach its peak during the reign of Henry IV, made it a building admired by all the travelers who came to it.

The Alcázar had gone from its strict military function to being an institutional building where the royal treasure, the kingdom's archive and the royal armory were guarded. This change will take shape in the decoration of various rooms.

As regards the archive, it was John II and Henry IV who, in truth, began systematically the task of safeguarding historical documentation. It is clear that, in 1437, Juan II ordered the transfer of various records to the Alcázar “to my archive in the city of Segovia”, which implies the existence of one of the first royal archives of Castile.

It was during the reigns of Juan II (1406-1454) and his son Enrique IV (1454-1474) that the Alcázar reached its peak, both for the role played in the complex political game of those turbulent years and for the active life culture that took place in it and its splendid decoration.

The proclamation of Isabel de Castilla in 1474, a momentous event in the history of Spain, will be forever linked to the Alcázar, in one of whose rooms it is commemorated through the painting of the artist Muñoz de Pablos.

The House of Austria (1516-1621) will hardly use the building. However, it will still play an important role in two moments: the War of the Communities (1520-21) and the wedding of Felipe II with Ana de Austria (1570).

The Alcázar was later used as a state prison, its function being almost exclusively during the reigns of Felipe IV and Carlos II.
In 1762 Carlos III founded the Royal College of Artillery in Segovia, whose first Director was Count Félix Gazzola. The College was installed on May 16, 1764 and remained in the Alcázar, with slight parentheses, until March 6, 1862, the day on which a fire destroyed the roofs and interior of the Alcázar and most of the treasures it contained. in your file, library, cabinets, etc. As of this date the College, later the Artillery Academy, passed to the San Francisco de Segovia Convent.

This educational center soon became a benchmark, and the best and most perfect example of enlightened military education.

In February 1792, as one more office of the artillery teaching center, a large chemistry laboratory was inaugurated in a building very close to the Alcázar (House of Chemistry). The highest paid scientist of the Spanish Enlightenment, the chemist Luis Proust, joined the head of the laboratory, who requested an infrastructure, equipment and means such that he himself, in his opening lesson of the Laboratory, defined it as "the best in Europe" in its gender.

The objective of setting up this laboratory was to complete the Cadets' curriculum with a cabinet that would facilitate the study of natural history and chemistry, especially metallurgy. In this laboratory, the French chemist carried out his investigations, closing the formulation of the Law of Defined Proportions.
In 1898 the General Military Archive was installed on the first floor of the building, which is still in the Alcázar today.

By Decree of January 18, 1951 the Board of Trustees of the Alcázar of Segovia was created with the mission of regulating the use of the building and its annexes for the benefit of the cultural heritage; ensure the conservation, entertainment and artistic protection of the monument; and encourage the public to enjoy a "Museum of the Alcázar of Segovia" that is an archive of memories to preserve the memory of its triple aspect of Alcázar Regio, Military Enclosure and Royal College of Artillery.

--------------------------------------------
Ver tambien el WS.

Es probable que la fortificación existiese ya en tiempos de la dominación romana, pues se han encontrado sillares de granito análogos a los del Acueducto.

Hacia 1120, sobre el extremo occidental de la roca en que se asienta la ciudad, se edificó un barrio al servicio de los canónigos de la catedral de Santa María, conocido como “las Canonjías”. En el acta de donación de los terrenos por el Concejo al Obispo es donde se menciona, por primera vez, a nuestra fortaleza, más exactamente al “vallum oppidi”, o empalizada, que defendía a la ciudad por el lado oriental.

Pocos años después, entre 1124 y 1139, se registran en la documentación las palabras “castillo de Segovia” y “Alcaçar”, término éste que alude a su condición de fortaleza y residencia regia y que llegará hasta nuestros días.

El rey Alfonso X “el Sabio” convocó Cortes en 1256, las primeras que tuvieron lugar en el Alcázar.
L as actuaciones de remodelación, ampliación y decoración del Alcázar, que se iniciaron con Catalina de Lancaster en 1412 y que alcanzarían su apogeo durante el reinado de Enrique IV, hicieron del mismo un edificio admirado por cuantos viajeros llegaban al mismo.

El Alcázar había pasado de su estricta función militar a ser un edificio institucional donde se custodiaba el tesoro regio, el archivo del reino y la armería real. Este cambio tomará forma en la decoración de diversas estancias.

Por lo que atañe al archivo, fueron Juan II y Enrique IV quienes, en verdad, comenzaron de forma sistemática la tarea de salvaguardar la documentación histórica. Consta que, en 1437, Juan II ordenaba trasladar al Alcázar diversos registros “al mi archivo de la cibdad de Segovia”, lo que supone la existencia de uno de los primeros archivos reales de Castilla.

Fue durante los reinados de Juan II (1406-1454) y de su hijo Enrique IV (1454-1474) cuando el Alcázar llega a su cima, tanto por el papel desempeñado en el complejo juego político de aquellos turbulentos años como por la activa vida cultural que en él tuvo lugar y su espléndida decoración.

La proclamación de Isabel de Castilla en 1474, acontecimiento trascendental en la historia de España, quedará para siempre vinculado al Alcázar, en una de cuyas salas se rememora mediante la pintura del artista Muñoz de Pablos.

La Casa de Austria (1516-1621) apenas utilizará el edificio. No obstante, aún jugará un papel relevante en dos momentos: la Guerra de las Comunidades (1520-21) y la boda de Felipe II con Ana de Austria (1570).

El Alcázar se utilizó después como prisión de Estado, siendo está su función, de forma casi exclusiva, durante los reinados de Felipe IV y Carlos II.
E n 1762 Carlos III fundó en Segovia el Real Colegio de Artillería, cuyo primer Director fue el conde Félix Gazzola. El Colegió quedó instalado el 16 de mayo de 1764 y permaneció en el Alcázar, con leves paréntesis, hasta el 6 de marzo de 1862, día en el que un incendio destruyó las techumbres e interior del Alcázar y la mayor parte de los tesoros que encerraba en su archivo, biblioteca, gabinetes, etc. A partir de esta fecha el Colegio, luego Academia de Artillería, pasó al Convento de San Francisco de Segovia.

Este centro docente se convirtió muy pronto en un referente, y el mejor y más perfecto exponente de la enseñanza militar ilustrada.

En febrero de 1792, como un gabinete más del centro docente artillero, se inauguró un gran laboratorio de química en un edificio muy próximo al Alcázar (Casa de la Química). Al frente del laboratorio se incorporó el científico mejor pagado de la Ilustración Española, el químico Luis Proust, quien solicitó una infraestructura, aparataje y medios tales que él mismo, en su lección de apertura del Laboratorio lo definió como “el mejor de Europa” en su género.

El objetivo de la puesta en marcha de este laboratorio era completar el plan de estudios de los Cadetes con un gabinete en el que se les facilitara el estudio de la historia natural y de la química, especialmente de la metalúrgica. En este laboratorio realizó el químico francés sus investigaciones, cerrando la formulación de la Ley de las Proporciones Definidas.
E n 1898 se instaló en la primera planta del edificio el Archivo General Militar, que actualmente continúa en el Alcázar.

Por Decreto de 18 de enero de 1951 se crea el Patronato del Alcázar de Segovia con la misión de regular la utilización del edificio y sus anexos en beneficio del acervo cultural; velar por la conservación, entretenimiento y protección artística del monumento; y fomentar que el público pueda disfrutar de un “Museo del Alcázar de Segovia” que sea un archivo de recuerdos para conservar la memoria de su triple aspecto de Alcázar Regio, Recinto Militar y Real Colegio de Artillería.

Fis2, holmertz, PiotrF, PaulVDV, jhm, mcmtanyel has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9112 W: 5 N: 16384] (72998)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2019-08-10
  • Exposure: f/0.1, 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2021-10-29 11:44
Viewed: 0
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9112 W: 5 N: 16384] (72998)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH