Photographer's Note

It consists of four Doric columns five meters above the capitals as many architraves settle with the arms of the city; in the center of the square formed by the columns, on a base, a cross stands granite.

According to tradition, in 1157 the Avila organized a pilgrimage to the shrine of San Leonardo (now defunct), next to Narrillos in supplication for the disappearance of plague that whipped the region. Taking advantage of the absence of most of the population, Muslims attacked the city taking everything that was in it of value. To chase, council Nuño Gómez Acedo Rabia and organized a game, of which a portion of its members broke away to return to the safety of the town. When after defeating the Muslims returned to Avila, found that those who had separated from the group had closed the walls, and required part of the booty to accept newcomers. He heard the king Sancho III of Castile, went to Avila drove the inside and condemned them to live outside the walls, no titles of nobility or privileges; some of these left the country and went to Ciudad Rodrigo, that King Ferdinand II of León was repopulated after its recapture. Ávila The council decided that the pilgrimage to San Leonardo recur annually, and to break from the authorities was built in the way the shrine of "los cuatro postes"

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1479
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Pablo Zarzuelo (colibriav) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 282 W: 5 N: 262] (2208)
View More Pictures