Photographer's Note

Guadamur Castle is a castle located in the town of Guadamur in the province of Toledo (Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) .The castle is located east of the village, in the Cerro de la Ermita, a small promontory under the He is passing the stream through the village.

Guadamur Castle was built in several phases, the first one around 1470 and the second around 1520. It was built on the orders of the Count of Fuensalida, to strengthen the protection of the area, besieged several times: in 1446-1521 the place suffered repeatedly burning and looting. Castle and County were possession of the Ayala family, graced with Fuensalida County in 1470 by King Henry IV of Castile, going to the House of Velasco in the seventeenth century, in the person of Don Bernardino Fernandez de Velasco Pacheco Téllez-Girón, VIII Earl of Fuensalida. In the eighteenth century, the title and the property became part of the vast heritage of the House of Escalona, ​​after being disputed by the Duchess of Osuna XVI and XVII Count of Cedillo, matrilineal descendant of Count II of Fuensalida.

The building was militarized until the eighteenth century, a period in which the Earls moved to his palace Toledo, next to the church of Santo Tomé, which now houses the presidency of the regional government of Castilla-La Mancha. The castle, with its protective function, also served as a destination for rest and hunting family, although it was designed as a safe haven near Toledo if political events make it advisable (in 1471, in 1473 and possibly in 1507 and during the War of the Communities).

The topographic Relations of Felipe II report that the castle 'has its old weapons (...) and its warden with his salary. " In 1637, 1641 and 1659 King Felipe IV ordered the VI Count of Fuensalida to betray him all the weapons available to meet the military needs of Corona. Different Counts were closely related to the army officers in the war of the Catholic Monarchs with France in San Quentin with Felipe II, in the armies of Felipe IV, etc. The warden of the castle represented the Count in the inauguration of the municipal office and the social life of the town, preferably in relation to the Church, but not in the legal and economic management.

In 1880 three neighboring Guadamur decide to buy the castle to Don Bernardino Fernandez de Velasco and Roca de Togores Pacheco Téllez-Girón, XVIII Conde de Haro, a descendant of the Counts of Fuensalida. During those years, these three neighbors staying at the poor and needy, however, the deterioration of the building was remarkable and unsanitary conditions. Seven years later, on May 4, 1887, Don Jeronimo Lopez de Ayala and Hierro, V Marquess of Villanueva del Castillo, a descendant of the Ayala, encourages his father, the fourth Baron of the Four Towers, Count of Assault, to buy for restoration and second housing; one as a specialist in art history and this as a medievalist.

The new owner, Don Carlos Morenés and Tord, IV Baron of the Four Towers, was born in La Nou de Gaia (Tarragona) in 1835. He was elected senator in the upper house in the province of Tarragona in legislatures 1876-1877, 1884 -85 and 1891-93. He was married to Dona Maria Fernanda Garcia-Pardo Alesson and Rivadeneyra, VI Countess of Assault and Baroness Davalillo.

After the damage to the building in the Civil War, was the Marquis of Aguilar de Campo who carried out the last restoration.

In 2000 D. Venancio Sanchez acquired this property, dedicating since then to restore the castle.

The keep is a prism 30 meters high with a base of 10 m by 15 m.

The courtyard and palace is quadrangular of 20 m by 12 m. The four corners are topped with circular towers. In the middle of each wall triangular prism base, a star tip, reinforcing solution it is the first of its kind and a history of defensive military architecture of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries arises. Palace and tower are of granite masonry with pieces of carved stonework. The ground floor of the palace (chapel, kitchen, servants, etc.) have vaulted roof; the main floor (offices and bedrooms) have coffered lintel structure and features.

In the second phase a second body of the palace, an outer defensive wall and moat were built.

In the reconstruction of the nineteenth century the Count of Cedillo reflected in frescoes on the piano nobile the trip to Guadamur princes Juana and Don Felipe (July 11, 1502).

Exif Data:

Nombre de archivo Guadamur 042.jpg
Nombre del modelo de cámara FinePix S6500fd
Hora y fecha de disparo 19/05/2015 08:56:42
Tv (Velocidad de obturación) 1/200
Av (Valor de apertura) 5.0
Compensación de la exposición 0
Velocidad ISO 100
Tamaño de la imagen 2847x1896
Flash Desactivar
Espacio color sRGB
Tamaño de archivo 6236 KB

ikeharel, bukitgolfb301, jjcordier, delpeoples has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2567
Points: 24
  • None
Additional Photos by Manuel Mayorga (ManuMay) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2467 W: 253 N: 4601] (36447)
View More Pictures