Photos

Photographer's Note

A general view of the heart of old Mahon,the new capital of Menorca island after Ciutadella.
The scenery is dominate by the Church of Santa Maria.
The Church of Santa Maria In Mahon, Menorca, has a prime position. It is close to the traditional fish market, the indoor market now housed in a former convent and other fine buildings. A cafe offering panoramic views over Mahon harbour is a great place to take in a snack, coffee or beer as you watch the world go by.
Built in the 18th century on the site of a 13th century gothic church this impressive building creates one of Mahon’s chief landmarks.
The interior is of neogothic style but of great note is the monumental organ that has great instrumental and artistic quality. It was commissioned in 1806 by the rector Gabriel Alenyar from the masters Franciso Otter and Joan Kiburz who lived in Barcelona.
It took three years to make and when it was ready there were problems with its transportation not only due to the fact that the Napoleonic war was on but also due to its immense size. It has four keyboards, 3006 organ pipes – 197 of which are wooden and the rest are metal. Eventually it was inaugurated in 1810 and its artistic ornamentation was carried out by the Menorcan sculptor Francesc Comas.

I COLORI DI MAHON

Una visione generale del cuore della vecchia Mahon, la nuova capitale dell'isola di Minorca dopo la Ciutadella.
Il paesaggio è dominato dalla Chiesa di Santa Maria.
La Chiesa di Santa Maria a Mahon, Minorca, ha una posizione privilegiata. E' vicino al mercato del pesce tradizionale, il mercato coperto ora ospitato in un antico convento e altri edifici di pregio. Un caffè con vista panoramica sul porto di Mahon è un ottimo posto per prendere uno spuntino, caffè o una birra.
Costruita nel 18° secolo sul sito di una chiesa gotica del 13° secolo, questo imponente edificio crea uno dei principali punti di riferimento di Mahon.
L'interno è di stile neogotico, ma di grande nota è l'organo monumentale che ha grande qualità strumentale e artistica. E' stato commissionato nel 1806 dal rettore Gabriel Alenyar e dai maestri Francisco Otter e Joan Kiburz che vivevano a Barcellona.
Ci sono voluti tre anni per costruirlo e quando era pronto ci sono stati problemi con il suo trasporto non solo a causa del fatto che la guerra napoleonica era in corso, ma anche per la sua immensa grandezza. Ha quattro tastiere, 3.006 canne d'organo - 197 delle quali sono in legno e il resto sono in metallo. Alla fine è stato inaugurato nel 1810 e il suo ornamento artistico è stato realizzato dallo scultore Minorca Francesc Comas.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2865
Points: 136
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luciano Gollini (lousat) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 14246 W: 125 N: 25321] (125811)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH