Photos

Photographer's Note

River Sava which is running to the North of Ljubljana, the Capital City of Slovenia is the largest river in Slovenia. It is full of rapids and spots where the nature had provided some great opportunities for harnessing of the water energy. One of such spots on the river is at the village of Tacen, now a suburb of the Capital City of Slovenia Ljubljana. Long back into the previous millennium the locals had used this energy to power the mill on the left bank of the river. This was a small hamlet still some long miles from the growing metropolis. Towards the middle of the last century in the period after WWI, the electric energy had made its way into the households of Europe. With this need for power, a power generating station was built on the opposite bank from the mill. This required some damming of the natural flow of the river of course, and the result is still visible and in use at the present day. There is a set of rapids concentrated just under the dam.
This dam had become a challenge for the (then) kayakers of the area. There were two separate spots where one could negotiate the rapids with a great amount of adrenalin being produced: first one was on the left bank adjacent to the old mill, whilst the second which was for kayakers of more interest, was of course the flow of water across the dam on the right bank. Here the first known and documented slalom competition in Tacen was held in summer of 1939. The start of course was below the dam. In those days the paddling down that stretch of water was considered extremely hazardous. How demanding - and punishing - the paddling there was, is best illustrated by the fact that in year 1939 total of 16 boats started and only 9 finished. One may ask what happened to the other 7 boats. The boats were reduced to kindling as in those days the boats’ frames were made pine and had canvas stretched over this frame. The winner of this first contest was a chap by the name of Malahovski.

The course we see today is the result of the work which was carried out in anticipation of the 1990 World Canoeing Championships. The course management team under the leadership of Mr. Rade Kovachevich did a great job of totally reconstructing the course - starting at the dam and following the best possible line to the finish. The dam was sealed for a time so that the riverbed could be concreted. The control tower was moved slightly away from the river’s edge towards the power station canal. This canal is also used for a warm up of the paddlers.

zoomer, Fante, Fante, ikeharel has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: vojko dular (yeln) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1077 W: 55 N: 2227] (11516)
  • Genre: People
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2009-06-29
  • Categories: Decisive Moment
  • Exposure: f/5.6, 1/180 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2010-01-23 0:20
Viewed: 1175
Points: 8
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by vojko dular (yeln) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1077 W: 55 N: 2227] (11516)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH