Photographer's Note


The Lower Church is dedicated to apostles St. Peter and St. Paul. The church was mentioned for the first time in one written record dating from 1599. Shrine was restored on old shrine’s foundations in 1719. On 13th of October 1784, in the front of alter of The Lower Church, was ordained a priest. Petar Petrović Njegoš, later known as St. Peter of Cetinje.

Iconostasis of Lower Church was made in year 1829 by painter Dimitrije Vratoglić. In the churchyard had been planted a plane-tree, not long after the building was finished. Today, that tree is under the protection and represents a magnificent monument of nature in Sremski Karlovci.

Charo, bracasha75 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1770
Points: 4
Additional Photos by Zorica Helach (zhelach) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 225 W: 55 N: 832] (3626)
View More Pictures