Photographer's Note

The church in Stejanovci is dedicated to the Transfer of the relics of Saint Nicholas, it was built as an elongated single-nave building with a five-sided apse, choir niches and an added bell tower. Decorative elements of wall surfaces are low plinth, pilasters and profiled roof cornice.

The carved multi-storey iconostasis construction dates from 1801 and is the work of Karlovac woodcarver Marko Vujatović. Grooved pillars separate the throne icons. The iconostasis is dominated by plant motifs of vines with grapes, ears of corn, oak leaves with acorns and roses. The icons were originally commissioned by Jacob Orfelin in 1803. However, he died very soon after concluding the contract with the Church Municipality, so - judging by the artistic manuscript - the icons are attributed to Arsa Teodorović. In 1846, Petar Čortanović restored the iconostasis and painted the interior of the church.


pajaran, ChrisJ has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 6
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 319 W: 129 N: 1335] (8553)
View More Pictures