Photos

Photographer's Note

The idea of building an Orthodox cathedral in Sibiu began with the Metropolitan Bishop Andrei Şaguna, who in the fall of 1857 asked Emperor Franz Joseph I for permission to send a circular to his diocese asking priests and laity for donations. He sent the circular before Christmas of that year and the first donor was the emperor himself, who gave 1000 gold coins, followed by the governor of Transylvania with 50, Şaguna with 2000 florins, and many others.

Donations continued after Şaguna's death in 1873; the first stone was laid on August 18, 1902, with Ioan Meţianu as metropolitan bishop. To free up space and build the cathedral (it took five plots on Mitropoliei Street and three on Xenopol Street where there is also an entrance), eight nearby houses had to be torn down, as well as a small Greek church built between 1797-1799 that until then it had served as a cathedral.

The works, coordinated by the city architect Iosif Schussnig, began in 1902 and ended in 1904, when the copper roof was completed. The design, by Virgil Nagy and Iosif Kamner of Budapest, was chosen from among the designs submitted by 31 Austrian and Hungarian architects. On December 13, 1904, the four bells were blessed and placed on the two main spiers (during World War I, the Austro-Hungarian army cast the three bells on the western spire to use as cannons; these were not replaced until 1926 ).

The iconostasis and the kliros were manufactured at the Constantin Babic company in Bucharest; and electric light was installed. The iconostasis (made of carved wood covered with gold) and the dome (showing the Pantocrator crossed by angels) were painted by Octavian Smigelschi, from the nearby town of Ludos.

The exterior is red and yellow brick. The wide nave is bordered by smaller spherical ceilings and four towers: two smaller octagonal, and two larger near the entrance with a square base that becomes octagonal near the bell. The tops of the towers are shaped like double bulbs, with a skylight in the center.

The main entrance is located through a portico with three semi-circular doors. Behind it and between the main towers is a large semicircular vestibule with a window shaped like a stained glass, while the exterior is decorated with round mosaics showing Jesus and the Four Evangelists. The cathedral measures 53.10m long and 25.40m wide in the center, the dome measures 24.70m high (34.70m outside) and 15m in diameter, while the spiers are 43m high (45m including the crosses).

On April 30, 1906, Metropolitan Bishop Meţianu, along with his suffragan Bishop of Arad, Ioan Papp, and a group of priests and deacons, consecrated the cathedral. Nicolae Iorga was also present and donated a silver encolpion and an icon. Since its consecration, the cathedral has undergone a number of restorations and improvements: the walls have been decorated with neo-Byzantine paintings by Iosif Keber and Anastasie Demian, and liturgical objects, vestments, books and a sound system have been added. The Divine Liturgy and Vespers are celebrated daily, as well as other services when requested.

--------------------------------------------------

La idea de construir una catedral ortodoxa en Sibiu empezó con el obispo metropolitano Andrei Şaguna, quién en otoño de 1857 pidió permiso al emperador Francisco José I para enviar una circular a su diócesis pidiendo a los sacerdotes y seglares que dieran donaciones. Envió la circular antes de la Navidad de ese año y el primer donante fue el mismo emperador, quién dio 1000 monedas de oro, seguido del gobernador de Transilvania con 50, Şaguna con 2000 florines, y muchos otros.

Las donaciones continuaron tras la muerte de Şaguna en 1873; la primera piedra fue colocada el 18 de agosto de 1902, con Ioan Meţianu de obispo metropolitano. Para liberar espacio y construir la catedral (hicieron falta cinco parcelas en la calle Mitropoliei y tres en la calle Xenopol donde también hay una entrada), ocho casas cercanas tuvieron que ser derribadas, así como una pequeña iglesia griega construida entre 1797-1799 que hasta entonces había servido como catedral.

Las obras, coordinadas por el arquitecto de ciudad Iosif Schussnig, empezaron en 1902 y finalizaron en 1904, cuando se terminó el techo cobrizo. El diseño, realizado por Virgilio Nagy y Iosif Kamner de Budapest, fue elegido de entre los diseños entregados por 31 arquitectos austríacos y húngaros. El 13 de diciembre de 1904, las cuatro campanas eran bendecidas y colocadas en las dos agujas principales (durante la Primera Guerra Mundial, el ejército austro-húngaro fundió las tres campanas en la aguja occidental para utilizarlas como cañones; estas no fueron reemplazadas hasta 1926).

El iconostasio y el kliros fueron fabricados en la empresa Constantin Babic en Bucarest; y se instaló luz eléctrica. El iconostasio (de madera tallada recubierta de oro) y la cúpula (mostrando al Pantocrátor franqueado por ángeles) fueron pintados por Octavian Smigelschi, del pueblo cercano de Ludos.

El exterior es de ladrillo rojo y amarillo. La amplia nave limita con techos esféricos más pequeños y cuatro torres: dos más pequeñas octagonales, y dos más grandes cerca de la entrada con una base cuadrada que se hace octagonal cerca de la campana. El remate de las torres tienen forma de bombillas dobles, con un tragaluz en el centro.

La entrada principal está ubicada a través de un pórtico con tres puertas semicirculares. Detrás de este y entre las torres principales se halla un amplio vestíbulo semicircular con una ventana con forma parecida a un vitral, mientras que el exterior está decorado con mosaicos redondos que muestran a Jesús y los Cuatro Evangelistas. La catedral mide 53,10m de largo y 25,40m de ancho en el centro, la cúpula mide 24,70m de alto (34,70m en el exterior) y 15m de diámetro, mientras las agujas miden 43m de alto (45m incluyendo las cruces).

El 30 de abril de 1906, el obispo metropolitano Meţianu, junto con su sufragáneo obispo de Arad, Ioan Papp, y un grupo de sacerdotes y diáconos, consagraron la catedral. Nicolae Iorga también estuvo presente y donó un encolpion de plata y un icono. Desde su consagración, la catedral ha experimentado un número de restauraciones y mejoras: las paredes han sido decoradas con pinturas neo-bizantinas de Iosif Keber y Anastasie Demian, y se han añadido objetos litúrgicos, vestimentas, libros y un sistema de sonido. La Divina Liturgia y las Vísperas se celebran diariamente, así como otros servicios cuando se soliciten.

holmertz, Fis2, macjake, ChrisJ, COSTANTINO, PaulVDV, jhm, jean113, pili51 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8468 W: 5 N: 15300] (68110)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2019-05-31
  • Exposure: f/inf, 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2021-03-24 13:00
Viewed: 0
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8468 W: 5 N: 15300] (68110)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH