Photographer's Note

The Archdiocese of Argeș and Muscel is a diocese of the Romanian Orthodox Church. Its see is the Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral in Curtea de Argeș and its ecclesiastical territory covers Argeș County. The archdiocese forms part of the Metropolis of Muntenia and Dobrudja.

The institution traces its beginnings to the old Metropolis of Ungro-Wallachia, which moved to Târgoviște in 1517. A Diocese of Argeș was established in 1793, covering the counties of Argeș and Olt. Its most prominent bishop was probably the first, losif, who reigned until 1820; he translated and published numerous liturgical books. The diocese was disbanded in 1949, early in the communist regime, and merged into the Râmnic Diocese. It was revived in 1990, following the Romanian Revolution, and elevated to the rank of archdiocese in 2009.

pajaran, Fis2, ikeharel, jhm, abmdsudi, cornejo, pierrefonds, ChrisJ, holmertz, adramad has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 486
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Daniel Draghici (dkmurphys) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5688 W: 83 N: 11269] (75900)
View More Pictures