Photographer's Note

The Piarist Church , also known as the Jesuit Church located at 5 Str. Universității, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was the first Roman Catholic church built in Transylvania after the Protestant Reformation, as well as the province's first Baroque church building.
Among the city's more notable edifices, it served as a prototype for numerous other churches in Transylvania.

On 13 March 1718, Jesuit priests began a fundraising campaign in order to build the church. Bishop Georgius Martonfi laid the cornerstone; the church was completed in 1724 .
The church was restored in 1775, 1831, 1943, 1970 and 2005-6.

The church has two clock towers, each 45 m high. There are three narrow vertical windows above the entrance, meant to help illuminate the interior. The main door is surrounded by rich ornamentation; above it there is a bas-relief of the Trinity with the Latin inscription Honori Sanctissimae Trinitatis ("In Honour of the Most Holy Trinity").

Underneath the church building there is a crypt with 140 graves.

Photo Information
Viewed: 482
Points: 52
  • None
Additional Photos by Piotr FG (PiotrF) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 6001 W: 2 N: 12096] (55970)
View More Pictures