Photos

Photographer's Note

SEE THE WS.

The prestigious Lonely Planet travel publisher qualifies it as “the most beautiful church in Bucharest”, even though the Romanian capital, especially in its historic center, has a host of first-rate churches.

Stavropoleos, in fact, is tiny, to the point that it is difficult to understand how so much art and so much beauty can be condensed there.

Its name is a Romanian derivation of the Greek stauropolis, which means "the city of the cross."

The original church dates from 1724, but at the end of the 19th century it was in such a sorry condition that it was even proposed to demolish it. Fortunately, it did not go so far: Ion Mincu, a famous Romanian architect who had studied in France and shared the ideas of Violet-le-Duc (who also inspired the restoration of San Martín de Frómista), began some restoration and reconstruction work that gave as a result the church we know today.

In the tiny space adjacent to the church, Mincu added a small but beautiful courtyard, which, like a cloister open on one side - the one facing the street - blends in harmoniously with the rest of the building.

The rich carved stone decorations, which adorn both the pillars and the window frames, the fine façade, the colorful exterior murals are an impressive testimony to the brâncovenesc style that flourished in Romania in the 18th century, an eclectic mix with Renaissance influences , Baroque, Byzantine and Islamic (during its construction Romania belonged politically to the Ottoman Empire).

---------------------------------------------------

VER EL WS.

La prestigiosa editorial de viajes Lonely Planet la califica como “la iglesia más bonita de Bucarest”, y eso que la capital de Rumanía, especialmente en su centro histórico, cuenta con una pléyade de iglesias de primera magnitud.

Stavropoleos, en realidad, es diminuta, hasta el punto que cuesta entender cómo se puede condensar allí tanto arte y tanta belleza.

Su nombre es una derivación rumana del griego stauropolis, que significa “la ciudad de la cruz”.

La iglesia original data del año 1724, pero a finales del siglo XIX estaba en una condición tan lamentable que se llegó a proponer su demolición. Afortunadamente no se llegó a tanto: Ion Mincu, famoso arquitecto rumano que había estudiado en Francia y compartía las ideas de Violet-le-Duc (quien también inspiró la restauración de San Martín de Frómista), inició unas labores de restauración y reconstrucción que dieron como resultado la iglesia que conocemos hoy.

En el diminuto espacio adyacente a la iglesia, Mincu añadió un pequeño pero bellísimo patio, que a modo de claustro abierto por uno de sus lados –el que da a la calle– se integra armónicamente con el resto del edificio.

Las ricas decoraciones talladas en piedra, que adornan tanto los pilares como los marcos de la ventanas, la finísima fachada, los coloridos murales exteriores son un testimonio impresionante de el estilo brâncovenesc que floreció el Rumanía en el siglo XVIII, una mezcla ecléctica con influencias renacentistas, barrocas, bizantinas e islámicas (durante su construcción Rumanía pertenecía políticamente al Imperio Otomano).

Fis2, ikeharel, jhm, Royaldevon, holmertz, pajaran, COSTANTINO, ChrisJ, PaulVDV has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8417 W: 5 N: 15183] (67624)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH