Photos

Photographer's Note

The Romanian Athenaeum is a concert hall located in the center of Bucharest and an important monument of the city. Opened in 1888, this ornate domed circular building is the city's main concert hall and home to the "George Enescu" Philharmonic and the annual George Enescu International Music Festival.

In 1865, cultural and scientific personalities such as Constantin Esarcu, V. A. Urechia, and Nicolae Creţulescu founded the Cultural Society of the Romanian Athenaeum. For its activities, the Romanian Athenaeum would be built in Bucharest, a building dedicated to art and science.

The building was designed by French architect Albert Galleron, and it was built on a plot that had once belonged to the Văcărescu family. It was inaugurated in 1888, although the works continued until 1897. A part of the funds for the construction was financed by popular subscription in a 28-year effort whose slogan is still remembered: "Donate a leu for the Ateneu!"

On December 29, 1919, the conference of Romanian leaders that ratified the unification of Bessarabia, Transylvania, and Bucovina with the Old Kingdom of Romania to form Greater Romania was held at the Athenaeum.

Extensive reconstruction and restoration was carried out in 1992, by a Romanian construction company and restorer painter Silviu Petrescu, which saved the building from collapse. The nine million euros required were contributed equally by the government and the Council of Europe Development Bank.

The general style of the Athenaeum is neoclassical, with some romantic touches. In front of the building there is a small park and a statue of the Romanian poet Mihai Eminescu.

Inside, the ground floor houses a conference room as large as the auditorium above it; the auditorium has capacity for 600 people in the stalls and another 52 in the boxes.

A 75 m², 3 m wide fresco by Costin Petrescu decorates the circular wall of the concert hall. Painted in fresco, it shows the most important moments in the history of Romania, from the conquest of Dacia by the Roman emperor Trajan to the creation of Greater Romania in 1918.

Recognized as a symbol of Romanian culture, the building was inscribed in 2007 on the European Heritage list.

------------------------------------------------------

El Ateneo Rumano es una sala de conciertos situada en el centro de Bucarest y un importante monumento de la ciudad. Inaugurado en 1888, este adornado edificio circular abovedado es la sala de conciertos principal de la ciudad y sede de la Filarmónica "George Enescu" y el festival de música internacional anual George Enescu.

En 1865, personalidades culturales y científicas como Constantin Esarcu, V. A. Urechia, y Nicolae Creţulescu fundaron la Sociedad Cultural del Ateneo Rumano. Para sus actividades, se construiría el Ateneo Rumano en Bucarest, edificio dedicado al arte y la ciencia.

El edificio fue diseñado por el arquitecto francés Albert Galleron, y se construyó en una parcela que había pertenecido a la familia Văcărescu. Se inauguró en 1888, aunque las obras continuaron hasta 1897. Una parte de los fondos para la construcción fue financiada por suscripción popular en un esfuerzo de 28 años cuyo eslogan todavía se recuerda: "¡Dona un leu para el Ateneu!"

El 29 de diciembre de 1919, se celebró en el Ateneo la conferencia de los líderes rumanos que ratificaron la unificación de Besarabia, Transilvania, y Bucovina con el Antiguo Reino de Rumanía para formar la Gran Rumanía.

En 1992 se llevó a cabo una extensa reconstrucción y restauración, realizada por una constructora rumana y el pintor restaurador Silviu Petrescu, que salvó al edificio del derrumbe. Los nueve millones de euros necesarios fueron aportados a partes iguales por el gobierno y el Banco de Desarrollo del Consejo de Europa.

El estilo general del Ateneo es neoclásico, con algunos toques románticos. Frente al edificio hay un pequeño parque y una estatua del poeta rumano Mihai Eminescu.

En el interior, la planta baja alberga una sala de conferencias tan grande como el auditorio por encima de ella; el auditorio tiene capacidad para 600 personas en el patio de butacas y otras 52 en los palcos.

Un fresco de 75 m² y 3 m de anchura de Costin Petrescu decora la pared circular de la sala de conciertos. Pintado al fresco, muestra los momentos más importantes de la historia de Rumanía, desde la conquista de Dacia por el emperador romano Trajano hasta la creación de la Gran Rumanía en 1918.

Reconocido como un símbolo de la cultura rumana, el edificio fue inscrito en 2007 en la lista del Patrimonio Europeo.

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8417 W: 5 N: 15183] (67624)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH