Photographer's Note

At the site where today is the Church of St. John of God (Igreja de São João de Deus), was once a dairy built by João do Outeiro. It was a space scratched by Amoreiras road and Alves Torgo Street and other streaky narrow paths. It’s something hard to imagine today, that in that place, today called Praça de Londres (London Square), would be constructed the largest church of Lisbon.

With the growth of streams north of Lisbon in the early 50s was necessary to establish new parishes. Only in streams in the census of 1950, had 70 966 souls. Cardinal Cerejeira, Patriarch of Lisbon, decreed the establishment of new parishes: Princess St., Santa Tereza, today Twelve Apostles, Holy Angel of Portugal, John the Apostle and St. John of God, among others. Built without sacrifices of parishioners, the money came in substantial part from the compensation for the demolition of the Church of Our Lady of
Relief in the Martim Moniz.

At the time of construction, Anthony Lino explained his desire to bring the faithful of the altar, winning the compulsory distance that existed in relation to the assembly, which was only changed a decade later with the Council Vatican II.

Shooting Data
Nikon D40
2008/11/04 14:24:54.5
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/250 sec - F/11
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Custom
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Auto Flash Comp:
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Medium High
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Moderate
Sharpening: Medium high
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off
VR Control: Off
High ISO NR: Off

Photo Information
Viewed: 2172
Points: 34
Additional Photos by Paulo Goncalves (Juntas) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1449 W: 216 N: 1809] (7960)
View More Pictures