Photographer's Note

The origins of the Farm, that is called today “ da Regaleira”, come from 1697, when José Leite acquired a large portion of land in the surrounding area of Sintra´s Town. In 1715, the property was bought, in public auction, by Francisco Alberto Guimarães de Castro, that channelled water of the mountain to feed a fountain that existed there. It was ceded to João António Lopes Fernandes, in 1800, and 30 years later it was Manuel Bernardo, its owner, that named it just like it is called today, because before it was called “Quinta da Torre”or “Quinta do Castro”.

Later on, in 1840, it was acquired by Allen´s daughter,(Allen was a rich merchant of Porto), that came to receive the title of Regaleira`s Baroness.

However, in the begining of the century, the Regaleira`s Farm was bought by a capitalist named António Augusto de Carvalho Monteiro, that was a man with a very large culture and formed in Law by Coimbra`s University, and his fortune was accumulated in Brazil. Carvalho Monteiro, that was a lover of the glorious national epopee, that was traduced in the that time for the revivalist taste of the neo-manuelina architecture, inspired himself for the construction of his mansion and chapel, in the structural and decorative ecleticism of Pena, as well as in the neo-manuelino style of the hotel-palace of Buçaco. This one was built by Luigi Manini. So, Carvalho Monteiro invited Manini himself to project and build his Regaleira`s house, that was concluded in 1910.

efigesta, rick_matt, pedritos has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2277
Points: 10
  • None
Additional Photos by Isabel Silva (isamar) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 81 W: 0 N: 247] (1424)
View More Pictures