Photos

Photographer's Note

The Church of the Clergymen (for clergyman one understands all the priests, as well as that if they prepared for the priesthood, from Tonsura Cousin) and its in high spirits Tower, are workmanships of the génio of Nicholas Nasoni, célebre arquitecto Toscano, whose workmanship and intervention in the Port marked of significant form an immensity of workmanships, whose style marked the City definitively. Its name and style, had been indelevelmente on to this monumental tower for conceived it, but also for the plastic beauty that states, nominated the tower, one of the best ones of the Europe. All the set, englobando the Church, the house of the Clergymen (infirmary and house of the forwarding) and the Tower, was constructed in séc. XVIII, during a long period of 47 years, stuffed of some difficulties and oppositions, derivatives of the land where if it raises, of judicial errors of construction and questions that had been appearing. The Church started to be built in 1732, being given as concluded in 1749; however, it was only blessed in 12 of December of 1779, because the chapel-mor had total of being remade, had ace radical modifications and magnifying of that he was white, in relation to projecto primitive. In 1750, the workmanships of the House of the Clergymen had been initiated (that tower bound to the church á and was concluded in 1759); In 1754 it started to be constructed the tower that was finished in 1763. From 1767 up to 1773 it was proceeded the cited reconstruction of the chapel-mor, following itself other small arrangements, come the workmanships to be given as entirely concluded in 1779, with the sagração of the church (dedicated the N. Sra. of the Installation) for the Bishop D. Frei João Rafael de Mendonça. The Brotherhood of the Poor Clergymen, created in 1707, resulted of the fusing of three preexisting similar confrarias, that developed, in the Saint Casa of the Mercy, a parallel and similar activity in favor of the poor clergy; the Brotherhood of S. ad Pedro Ties, the Congregation of S. Filipe de Nery and the Brotherhood of Ours Lady of the Mercy. After the fusing the name of the Brotherhood started to be of Brotherhood of Ours the Lady of the Mercy, S. Pedro and S. Filipe de Nery. Simplifying this assignment, later, for Brotherhood of the Clergymen. Congregating in the House of the Mercy since 1707, the new Brotherhood, intending to have proper headquarters, it soon treated to materialize this objectivo, when it was offered to it, in 1731, a land in the call place Da Cruz of Cassoa, together to the Adro of the Hanged people (a land, already is of the fernandina wall, close to the Olival, where gallows and the ones were buried the sentenced criminals á who died outside of the religion, and where later he would be constructed, not without some polémica, the house of the Clergymen and the Tower; therefore, that one adro was changed for another place, in lands of the Hospital of Sto. António. The execution of this huge projecto, was trusted, in this exactly year, the Nasoni; of the workmanships António mason puted in charge itself to the master shortly afterwards Pear tree, substituted for the masters Miguel Francisco and Miguel António de Sousa, which had the difficulties appeared during the construction. Exterior, the Church (it seats on a low shoe of 4 meters of height, which had to the declivity of the land) has octogonal form, with entered entrance main of the left side (come back toward the R. of S. Filipe de Nery). The Frontaria of a baroque luxuriante (For baroque style, or baroque art, understands the type of art that appeared between us, in centuries XVII and XVIII and that it is characterized for the abundance of decoration, for the deslumbramento of the same one) and a little detached of the temple, are divided in two levels; in the first one, two lateral windows with vegetal ornatos confide and a central janelão, under which are a vestibule with frontão, that gives to access to the chapel of N. Sra. of the Lapa, in cripta of the church, but without direct access.

Uhu, cobbydale, ribeiroantonio, TeresaT, paura has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 3721
Points: 29
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Goncalo Lopes (Bluejeans) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9250 W: 115 N: 13285] (64251)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH