Photos

Photographer's Note

One of a short series of pictures featuring the Sanctuary of Fátima in Portugal.

The Sanctuary of Fátima (Portuguese: Santuário de Fátima), also known as Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima (Portuguese: Santuário de Nossa Senhora de Fátima), is a group of Catholic religious buildings and structures in Cova da Iria, in the civil parish of Fátima, in the municipality of Ourém, in Portugal.

The buildings are located on the site where three children, Lúcia Santos and her cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, were first visited by Virgin Mary.

In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lúcia Santos and her two cousins, Francisco and Jacinta Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Valinhos. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners.

Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Virgin Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims.

Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lúcia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.

After various delays and investigations the Roman Catholic Church officially recognised the events at Fatima in 1927. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 303
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9668 W: 63 N: 27202] (119981)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH