Photographer's Note

Another picture from city of Poznan. Just north-east of the centre of Poznań sits Ostrów Tumski (Cathedral Island) – the island where Poznań originated, and “where Poland began” in the words of Pope John Paul II. According to the prolific legend, three Slav brothers known as Lech, Czech and Rus met on this tiny island after not seeing each other for many years. To commemorate their reunion the brothers named the place “Poznać”, after the Polish word for “to meet”. On the left: church of the Virgin Mary, on the right: Archcathedral Basilica of the Holy Apostoles Peter and Paul
This small Gothic Virgin Mary church was built in 1432-1448 and is modelled on the West Pomeranian building style, with a three-nave hall, star vaulting, and polychromatic decorations. The altar was designed by Wacław Taranczewski in 1954. The adjoining building with the crowstep gables is a Late Gothic Psalteria, dating to 1518, which contained flats for the clergy. Unfortunately the church is closed for renovation until late 2019, so it is presently impossible to get inside.

See You alternative take in the Workshop, please!

Photo Information
Viewed: 475
Points: 58
  • None
Additional Photos by Lidia Krukowska (Lidka) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 331 W: 87 N: 854] (3150)
View More Pictures