Photographer's Note

The Tumski (Cathedral) Bridge is a steel bridge over the north branch of the Oder river that leads to the cathedral. Constructed in 1889, this steel bridge replaced an old wooden bridge to connect the Cathedral Island and the Sand Island. It is an old road bridge now open to pedestrians only. It is also called Cathedral Bridge, Green Bridge or Lovers Bridge. Here, lovers 'lock their love' in a padlock which they hook into the bridge, and then toss the key into the river. Since 2009 lovers hung on the Tumski Bridge several thousands of padlocks with their names, some padlocks weigh up to half a kilogram. In 2013, padlocks placed over the heads of passers-by have been removed, they weighed more than 300kg.

jjcordier, timecapturer has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 814
Points: 12
  • None
Additional Photos by Ryszard Michalik (rychem) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 2788 W: 0 N: 6457] (49331)
View More Pictures