Photographer's Note

Branicki Palace (Polish: Pałac Branickich) in Białystok, is, together with its park and other buildings, one of the most precious monuments of Polish national culture.

Branicki Palace in Białystok, the "Versailles of Podlachia," was built for Count Jan Klemens Branicki, Great Crown Hetman and patron of art and science, raised in the French milieu of the Polish aristocracy, who transformed a previous house (by Tielman van Gameren) into the suitably magnificent residence of a great Polish noble, a rival to Wilanow, making a start in 1726. He also laid out the central part of the town of Bialystok, not a large place in the 18th century, with its triangular market.

With the first Partition of Poland it went to the Prussian Kingdom and, after 1807, to Russia. In the summer of 1920, briefly, the palace was the headquarters of the Provisional Polish Revolutionary Committee. Branicki Palace was destroyed by the Nazis. The Poles rebuilt it after World War II as a matter of national pride. The Medical University is housed in the Palace.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1224
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Marek Marx (Marx44) (42)
View More Pictures