Photos

Photographer's Note

Delft, alley with a view on the Nieuwe Kerk.

Nieuwe Kerk (English: New Church) is a landmark Protestant church in Delft, Netherlands. The building is located on Delft Market Square (Markt), opposite to the City Hall. In 1584, William the Silent was entombed here in a mausoleum designed by Hendrick and Pieter de Keyser. Since then members of the House of Orange-Nassau have been entombed in the royal crypt. The latest are Queen Juliana and her husband Prince Bernhard in 2004. The private royal family crypt is not open to the public. The church tower is the second highest in the Netherlands, after the Domtoren in Utrecht.

The New Church, formerly the church of St. Ursula (14th century), is the burial place of the princes of Orange. It is remarkable for its fine tower and chime of bells, and contains the splendid allegorical monument of William the Silent, executed by Hendrik de Keyser and his son Pieter about 1621, and the tomb of Hugo Grotius, born in Delft in 1583, whose statue, erected in 1886, stands in the market-place outside the church. The tower was built 1396-1496 by Jacob van der Borch, who also built the Dom in Utrecht during the years 1444-1475. The monument for Hugo de Groot was made in 1781. The mechanical clock has 18 bells by Francois Hemony from 1659 and 30 modern bells.In the church tower there is a bell from 1662 by Francois Hemony with a diameter of 104 centimeters. In the tower there are also bells no longer in use, including 13 from 1659 by Francois Hemony, 3 from 1678 by Pieter Hemony, 3 from 1750 from Joris de Mery, and 1 from Gillett and Johnston from 1929.

( Information taken from Wikipedia )

( An Elvis' songtitle )

papagolf21 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1469
Points: 2
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Hans Stellingwerf (Hanssie) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 2132 W: 2 N: 2030] (11022)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH