Photographer's Note


The first mention of Durbe in the historical record is found in 1644. The initial construction of the manor can be traced to as early as 1671. The description reads:"a house with two wings, as yet without windows, but the doors have latches and each of the servant's quarters has a stove made of low-quality tiles."
In the first half of the 18th century the extensions and second floor of the building were constructed. The last reconstruction, undertaken in 1820, was led by the architect J.G.A. Berlitz and gave the manor a look of classicism.
In the 19th century a landscaped park, with an area of 24.8 hectares, was built next to the manor house, possibly based on drawings by J.G.A. Berlitz. This included ponds, a water cascade and the Naiades Fountain, stone bridges and other small constructed features. Today the visitor to the park can still see 13 exotic species of vegetation, the rotunda and the longest stone walking bridge in Latvia.

(taken from

p.s. In the picture are showed old clay pots. This has been (and is today too) an usual household stuff. Pots were handmade and coloured as well as without decoration. Colours can be many, but the painting material is always from natural stuff.
It's very latvian what you see in the picture. Especially colours.

jelenaj, tedesse has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Ilze Peimane (Vaarna) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 45 W: 0 N: 72] (303)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2006-11-04
  • Categories: Castles
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2006-11-06 7:32
Viewed: 1658
Points: 4
Additional Photos by Ilze Peimane (Vaarna) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 45 W: 0 N: 72] (303)
View More Pictures