Photographer's Note

The main square of Vittorio Veneto, nice town in the north of Treviso district.

Infos from Wikipedia:

The area was occupied in ancient times by Celts and Veneti.

During the first century BC Emperor Augustus established a Castrum Cenetense in what is now the heart of Serravalle to defend the Venetian plain. The Via Claudia Augusta passed near the city. Later the town became known as Ceneda or

The ancient pieve of Sant'Andrea in Bigonzo in the northeast of the city, on the southern end of Serravalle, attests to the presence of Christianity in the area by the 4th century.

Ceneda rose to importance after the destruction of Oderzo by the Lombards in 667 AD. It became the seat of a Lombard county. In the heart of Ceneda, the Lombards constructed the castello di San Martino which still overlooks the city.

In 685, the Lombard duke Grumoaldo organized Ceneda into a diocese, assigning to it a large part of the territory that had been under the care of the suppressed diocese of Oderzo. St. Tiziano of Oderzo, whose relics are contained in the present cathedral, was named as patron of the diocese.

In 951, the Holy Roman Emperor Otto I invested the bishop of Ceneda with the title and prerogatives of count. The bishops would remain counts until 1768 when the privilege was revoked by the Venetian Republic.

The city was attacked by Treviso in the late 14th century. Much of what was stolen, including the relics of St. Tiziano, was restored after the intervention of the pope.

Ceneda became part of the Republic of Venice on December 19, 1389.

Serravalle, just to the north of Ceneda, owes its origin to the Romans. In 1174, it became a fief of the Da Camino family. It would know its greatest splendor under the Republic of Venice from 1337 to 1797.

parbo, dip, grigand, chpp, jhm, Silvio1953, paololg, jafadabret, Jeppo has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 5585
Points: 28
  • None
Additional Photos by Giorgio Mercuri (giorgimer) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3429 W: 12 N: 2250] (35017)
View More Pictures