Photographer's Note

Castle of Terria - Ferentillo - Terni
The castle of Terria stands on the La Bernara hill, at 425 m s.l.m, on the last slopes of the eastern side of the Valle del Nera, on the borders of the ancient Duchy of Ferentillo, on the left bank of the Nera. The center is divided into two nuclei (Terria and Terria di Contra) separated by a stream.
The castle, with its triangular layout and the type of slope, is dominated by the high cassero, a tower dating back to the 12th century, perhaps pre-existing to the construction of the underlying inhabited area.
It was a fief of the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle.
A Monte frumentario was present, the documentation received attested to its activity from the end of the 18th century. After the unification of Italy the administration passed to the local Congregation of charity. The date of cancellation is not known.
In the decade between 1920 and 1930 Terria was affected by a strong immigration flow of lumberjacks from Abruzzo and Tuscany for the production of coal from timber, transported downstream from Mount Aspra through a cableway that reached as far as Sambucheto.
Following a heavy emigration, the village and the nearby Terria di Contra Istat 2001 census were today populated by just 30 inhabitants.

snunney, holmertz, Lidka, ChrisJ, ikeharel, pierrefonds, jhm, jean113, Fis2, papagolf21, Cricri has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 264
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 14037 W: 131 N: 28635] (167117)
View More Pictures