Photographer's Note

Postignano (Sellano)
Postignano is a village in the municipality of Sellano in Valnerina (Umbria), characterized by a medieval village also called "Castle Postignano" a castle on the hillside whose origins date back to the XI-XIII, which dominates the valley of the Vigi and roads by Valnerina lead to Spoleto and Foligno. It was long fought over between Foligno and Spoleto, which in 1429 provided men and equipment for the war against the Ghibellines.
Castle slope, in whose summit is located upstream a hexagonal tower, from which branched off the perimeter walls; American architect Norman Carver in the years between 1967 and 1975 described him as "the archetype of Italian hill towns" in a book published in America in 1979 under the title Italian Hilltowns, which has on its cover a picture of their Postignano.
Particularly noteworthy is the church of S Lorenzo, also known as the SS Annunziata, with a single nave and roof with two slopes on trusses, with its distinctive curved facade on the performance and uneven. The decorations of the early church is preserved a mural of Foligno school, of very high quality and originality, dating from the late fifteenth century. depicting a "Crucifixion" with the mourners: the Virgin and St. John, and to the right of the latter represented a St. Michael the Archangel in kiosk trefoil. There remains, however, on the same wall, a substantial part of a grandiose decorations dating from the second half of the century. XVI and attributed to the circle of De Magistris, Marche painters also known as Caldwell, from the name of their country of origin.
All the frescoes were subjected to recovery, consolidation and restoration, as well as portions of the original plaster. Progressively spopolatosi in the fifties and sixties, as most of the settlements of central hills outside the major roads, Castle Postignano was subsequently declared of national interest and is now listed as a landscape and architectural respectively by the Region of Umbria and the Ministry of Culture. The village is now almost fully restored on the basis of a plan approved by the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage and the Province of Perugia, with regard to the compliance earthquake. During the restoration of environments have been discovered long forgotten memory and have been found traditional tools, objects of domestic life, readings and sacred objects, sometimes found niches in walls. This documentation will be displayed in the "Rooms of Memory," the small museum under construction in some old stables, to witness the history and life of the village.

jlbrthnn, tedesse, jjcordier, jhm, adramad, Sonata11, nikkitta has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13545 W: 132 N: 27431] (162314)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2012-12-22
  • Categories: Castles, Architecture
  • Exposure: f/11, 1/250 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-01-13 1:35
Viewed: 1512
Points: 42
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 13545 W: 132 N: 27431] (162314)
View More Pictures