Photographer's Note

Torreorsina - Terni
Ancient medieval village, perched on a hill overlooking the lower Valnerina. Its origins date back to the eleventh century when, after the destruction of the castle of Collestatte by the hands of an army in the pay of the Abbot of Farfa, some families moved to the nearby Colle Santa Maria, building an agglomeration that took the name of Villa Sanctae Maria is. Destroyed in 1264, during the fights between the Guelphs and Ghibellines, in 1270 the Community of Collestatte donated the hill with the ruins of Santa Maria to the town of Spoleto to erect new fortifications.
Around the surviving tower, the few remaining families built the Castrum Turris, which since 1271, together with Collestatte, became a single fief ruled by the Orsini family of the Castello branch. In 1586 Corradino Orsini, Duke of Bomarzo, gave the village its own seal with heraldic coat of arms, composed of a tower surmounted by a rose with the inscription TVRRIS VRSINAE around it.
In 1627 Turris Ursinae obtained autonomy from Collestatte and held Free Councils for three centuries. Torre Orsina remains in the hands of the Orsini di Castello until 1640, when Orazio Orsini sold his part of the feud to the Guidi di Bagno; in 1656 it then passed to the Mattei-Orsini, dukes of Paganica, and subsequently to the Count Cerbelli of Nepi, who ceded it to the Counts Manassei of Terni in 1752. They had already bought half of the jurisdiction over Collestatte and Torre Orsina since 1662, in the parts owned by the Orsini of Monterotondo, the Sassatelli of Imola, the Valignani of Chieti and the Savelli of Rome.
It is aggregated, in 1927, to the Municipality of Terni.

snunney, pierrefonds, alvaraalto, papagolf21, Fis2, ChrisJ, jhm, PaulVDV, macjake has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 342
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 15138 W: 130 N: 31201] (177659)
View More Pictures