Photos

Photographer's Note

Villa Faustana - Trevi (PG)
Founded in 1566 by Fausto Valenti, a protomedico from Rome, it then gave its name to the place where it stands. It was reproduced in the Vatican Palace with the inscription: Villa Faustana de 'nobili Valenti di Trevi. The name, which now indicates the whole locality, derives from the owner Fausto Valenti who had it built in 1569. It passed in 1574 to his brother Monte Valenti, then Governor of Umbria. Later it passed to Count Mario della Genga of Spoleto, who managed the mills of the municipality, and from these to Pope Leo XII, then to the Bonaca family until the 1970s. Remained in complete abandonment, it is now owned by another owner who has taken care of the restoration.
The architectural solutions are interesting. On the ground floor the central corridor, with a brick vault and the two opposite entrances, towards the Flaminia and towards the Clitunno, leads to the four large rooms, the chapel and the monumental staircase. The main floor is occupied by a large room which still retains remains of the original fresco. From the top floor you can access the four corner turrets, which characterize the whole building.
The whole surrounding environment is of considerable interest: the fish pond, fed by the Clitunno, the garden, full of a great variety of fruit trees, the enclosure with the monumental portal on the Flaminia. Unfortunately, with the passage of the railway, the garden was irreparably damaged, then with the subsequent doubling of a few years ago and the connecting road, it was definitively destroyed.
The plaque above the main door (east side) reads:
FAVSTVS VALENS
BENEDICTI F (ilius) SIBI
ET AMICIS A FVN
DAMENTIS ANN
SAL. MDLXIX
(Fausto Valenti, son of Benedetto, for himself and for his friends [built] from the foundations in the year 1569) Around the villa there is a brick and stone barn and a dovecote tower which seems to be of an older construction.
Also nearby is the former Villa Bonaca. In a niche there is a statuette of the Madonna, in excellent condition, dating back to 1935. On the walls of the villa, inspired by Tuscan architecture, you can see many other polychrome tiles, and a large coat of arms of the family is walled up in one corner.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 20041 W: 130 N: 42313] (222747)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2022-03-20
  • Exposure: f/0.9, 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2022-03-20 6:26
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 20041 W: 130 N: 42313] (222747)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH