Photographer's Note

Santa Maria del Fiore

Santa Maria del Fiore, better known at the Duomo, is a symbol of Florence itself.

Pictured is the central portal over the main entrance. The mosaic in the lunette was designed by Niccolò Barabino dating to 1899-1903. It represents Christ enthroned between Mary and Saint John the Baptist with Florentine saints.

The Duomo was built around Santa Reparata, the former cathedral, so it could remain in use during construction. For more than 70 years, Florentines entered their old church through the freestanding facade of the new one, but in 1370 the original was torn down when the most of the Duomo, except the dome, was finished.

The last part of Santa Maria del Fiore to be finished was the facade, done between 1871 and 1887. Its design by Emilio De Fabris', a neo-gothic style, is reminiscent of the gothic decoration of the Bell Tower and side portals of the Cathedral. The 19th-century program is largely historical and patriotic in character.

The Duomo can be seen all over Florence and will hold up to 20,000 people. Workshop

sibillino, ilDottore, gracious, subhendu_bagchi has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1773
Points: 18
  • None
Additional Photos by Betty Jones (BWJ) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 473 W: 0 N: 919] (3094)
View More Pictures