Photos

Photographer's Note

Sterzing (Italian: Vipiteno) is an Italian comune in the province of Bolzano-Bozen in the region of Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol. It is the main village of the southern Wipptal, and the Eisack River flows through the medieval town.
The first mention of a town called Wibitina dates back to the years between 985 and 990. That name, which is still memorized in Wipptal, is traced back to the nearby Celto-Roman settlement *Vibidina. In 1180 the name Sterzengum appears in a document. In the course of the Italianization of South Tyrol, the modern Italian name of the town Vipiteno - created from the old roman settlement of Vipitenum - was made official.. Throughout the late 1940s and early 1950s a number wanted Nazis stayed in Sterzing at the Hotel Goldenes Kreuz which still exists today. At different times people like Eric Priebke, Adolf Eichmann and Josef Mengele were in transit here as they waited for forged passports for their journey out of Europe and by ship to South America.[citation needed]
According to the 2001 census, 75.28% of the population speak German, 24.29% Italian and 0.44% Ladin as first language.
Town of roman origin date back at 14 B.C. when Nero Claudius Drusus, on the important way between Italy and the german countries, founded a military camp called "Vipitenum". A sepulchral monument dedicated to Postumia Vittorina, a milestone of the Imperator Septimus Severus period and a stone altar dedicated to Lord Mithras were finded in the region. In 550, following an invasion of Bavarii , Sterzing take place, but only in 1180 the name "Stercengum" was mentioned. In 1280 Meinhard Duke of Carinthia promote the village to the rank of city. Being the region a place of transit for trade because close to Brenner Pass , the Fugger of Augsburg opened a branch to sort the products of the nearby silver mines in Ridnaun Valley and Pfleres Valley. Sterzing knew its magnificence in XV and XVI centuries after the 1443 fire who destroyed part of the town. New embattled houses were built, some late gothic style, in Neustadt (New Town) as: Town and Regional Trial House (1450), Hotel "Goldenes Kreuz" (1446), Fugger's Branch (1553), Rafenstein House (former Köchl, 1472), the Town Hall (1473), Geizkofler House (1600) and the Mining District House (1500) all still in use.
DA WIKIPEDIA

yeln, baddori, Gerrit, siamesa, snunney, delpeoples, TopGeo, kordinator has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1537
Points: 48
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 15022 W: 131 N: 30969] (176590)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH