Photographer's Note

Complementary Railways of Sardinia

The Society for Complementary Railways of Sardinia was born in 1911 in Milan , in order to build some railway lines in the south of Sardinia . The Royal Decree 684 of 21 March 1912 entrusted the FCS construction and operation of two lines in narrow gauge , respectively Isili-Villacidro and its branch Villamar-Ales . The work of construction of these lines, designed by the Sardinians Gracchus Tronci, Stanislaus Scano and Dionysius Scano, were completed in a few years, and the first trains could cross it on 21 June 1915 . In both cases, the tracks were built single track non-electrified track gauge of 950 mm. For Isili-Villacidro is also exploited the stretch from Isili station Sarcidano of Cagliari arise : this portion of the track was then jointly managed by the manager of the line to arise , the Road Secondary Railways of Sardinia .

During the Second World War, the island's railways were not spared from bombing allies on the island, and the stations of Complementary Cagliari , Macon and Arbatax were damaged by the raid Americans in 1943 . Nevertheless, the FCS ensured as far as possible a regular train service, which was the way of salvation for thousands of displaced people especially from the regional capital took massive convoys (almost always forced to travel at full load) to seek refuge in areas interior of Sardinia.

ourania, adramad, Silvio1953, ikeharel, mohammad_H, ktanska, mirosu, bayno has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1297
Points: 26
  • None
Additional Photos by Gianfranco Calzarano (baddori) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1866 W: 124 N: 3543] (20341)
View More Pictures