Photographer's Note

Abbey of San Martino al Cimino - Viterbo

Located in the hamlet of the same name, it was built in the thirteenth century on the initiative of the Cistercian monks of the abbey of Pontigny, to whom Pope Innocent III granted land in the Cimini mountains with the task of building an abbey that could become a pole of agricultural development in the region .
The church, built in a short time, was consecrated in 1225, the entire monastic complex, with cloister, chapter house, refectory, library, infirmary, oven and other workshops, was completed before the end of the century.
In 1379 it was in danger of being abandoned due to the lack of monks, in 1426 there were only two left.
Pope Pius II (1458 - 1464) tried to revitalize it and had some restoration works carried out, but the results were not what was hoped for.
In 1564 the last monks left the abbey, which was closed and the assets incorporated into the patrimony of the Holy See.
In 1645 it again received the title of abbey church from Pope Innocent X, but it practically became a fiefdom of its powerful and perfidious sister-in-law Olimpia Maidalchini Pamphilj.
Olimpia entrusted the restoration of the church to the best architects, including Borromini.
Two towers were added, on the ruins of the monastic structures a large palace was erected.
The village was also renovated by the military architect Marc'Antonio de Rossi, with reconstruction of the perimeter walls, doors and houses, wash houses, ovens, slaughterhouses, theater and public square.
Olimpia Maidalchini died of the plague in 1657 and her body was interred in the choir of the abbey church.
The apse and transept of the church remain of the old Cistercian abbey, a modest portion of the cloister and some parts of the chapter house and the scriptorium.
The beautiful facade is enclosed by the two mighty seventeenth-century bell towers, adorned with a clock and a sundial.
The arched portal is surmounted by the coat of arms of Innocenzo X.
Above a large window consisting of two large acute single-lancet windows and an eight-petal rose window, they give light to the interior. to learn more

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 20066 W: 130 N: 42355] (222925)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2020-06-23
  • Exposure: f/0.1, 1/21 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2022-01-30 0:53
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 20066 W: 130 N: 42355] (222925)
View More Pictures