Photographer's Note

Rome - Villa Torlonia - Casina delle Civette – Guest bathroom (Bagno degli ospiti) – Fiori di palude e iris (work of the Laboratory Picchiarini)

Casina delle Civette

From Wikipedia:

The Casina delle Civette (House of the Owls) results from a series of additions to the nineteenth-century “Swiss Cabin”, which was originally intended as a refuge from the formality of the main residence. It was designed in 1840 by Jappelli. The outside of the house was faced with blocks of tufo, while the inside was painted in tempera. The complex now consists of two buildings, the main house and the annexe, connected by a small wooden gallery and an underground passage. These buildings bear little resemblance to the original. In 1908, architect Enrico Gennari began to convert the small building into a residence with huge windows, loggias, porticos and turrets, decorated with majolica and stained glass. From 1916 the building began to be known as the “House of the Owls”, probably because the motif of the owl is used widely in the decorations and furnishings. Casina delle Civette can be visited as part of the museum. The twenty rooms include 54 pieces of stained glass replaced, after restoration, in their original positions, 18 pieces of stained glass acquired and displayed on separate frames, and 105 sketches and preparatory cartoons for stained glass.

ricardomattos, snunney, mirosu, cornejo, Cricri, pili51 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2417
Points: 56
  • None
Additional Photos by Romano Lattanzi (Romano46) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1230 W: 0 N: 2866] (18472)
View More Pictures